all hardware setup

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
tone-def wrote:
there is more to music technology than modular synthesizers. samplers, effects units and microphones are all very useful and can do things synths can't. i agree though, mono synths that aren't modular of semi modular are a waste of money (unless it's a mini moog).
your right tony. it was a bit strong.

i do feel strongly about modular, and I do feel that it's a bit misunderstood... i dunno whether people think it's all too prog rock or something.

eurorack scene is really making things accessible, and some seriously exciting designers, picking up a lot of the designs that haven't been easy to get hold of before, like Buchla, Serge, Wiard. And people doing stuff that no one has ever done before, like the Metasonix range abusing and using tubes that have been sleeping in boxes since the 50s, Tony @ MakeNoise doing things with sequencers that no sane person should ever have thought of.

Like, every day I pretty much sh!t myself with excitement in my studio, and I really can't rationalise that so many people are uninterested.

(sorry, another rant about modular there! :) )
there's no harm in being passionate about the kit you're using, the only reason why modular isnt completely taking over the techno scene right now, is because a) its too expensive relative to other methods b) it requires some knowledge of synthesis and a hefty amount of research before you even start.

i've made techno in every way imaginable, and modular beats every other method hands down by light years, but you have to commit alot of resources and time to it.

in that respect if you're a noob, then its probably the wrong way to go.

i argued the exact opposite in my thread on modular synthesis a while back, but now that i'm totally absorbed in it, i can see that its a big commitment, and theres no turning back, i can honestly say that i will be still doing this till the day i die, its so deep and intellectually engaging.
ive learned more about music and synthesis in the last year than i did in the previous 25.
i'm up at 8 in the morning and cant wait to get in the studio.

the danger for noobs buying hardware is the same as it was when i bought my first hardware, and that is that you're buying a piece of crap.
i bought some shite back then because i had no idea what i wanted or really needed.
the lower end of the synth market is always going to be populated by poorly designed machines.
my advice would be to wait till you can afford something that will really make a difference to your productions, start saving, sell anything you're not using in life, when was the last time you went out on your mountain bike ? etc. etc. and in the meantime research, learn, lurk.

the best synth in the world today by far is the Moog Voyager, the RME model may just be affordable with a big push and a savings regime. it will really make a difference to your productions, and the hands on controls are second to none.
and anyone who says 'but its just a monosynth' doesnt have a clue.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

What I would like to see is some videos/sound clips of people making decent music from modular because all I have seen so far is a loads of bleeps and strange noises. I'm intrigued in this sort of set-up alongside my current set-up,l but i cant find any decent videos of what modular does.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:What I would like to see is some videos/sound clips of people making decent music from modular because all I have seen so far is a loads of bleeps and strange noises. I'm intrigued in this sort of set-up alongside my current set-up,l but i cant find any decent videos of what modular does.
how many times have i heard that one.

modular does whatever you want it to do.

and unfortunately from our point of view theres alot of people making bleeps and strange noises. its actually a form of music, called bugmusic etc in the US. (not that ive anything aganist it)

its no more a pointer to whats possible with modular than the cheesey trance presets in your synth are any indication of what a good house producer can do with it.

maybe i'll dig up a video of some stuff ive been doing, if i can find it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

modular = synthesis broken down into pieces.

Every possible music section of a synth is turned into a small puzzle piece. The sound section is split into filters, oscillators, sometimes even lower level than that. The sequencer is taken apart, and the possiblities with that for rhythm and melodic progression are otherworldly.

Then add talented designers who are surfing the same wildeyed human techno wave as the musicians.

You can't begin to imagine what you can do when you spend time with these machines. And it goes so deep as well, every day I find something new that I hadn't before.

the current eurorack scene are more often into more freeform music than techno, but there are a few videos knocking around on youtube that do justice to the machines. Search for Serge and Buchla. There are quite a few of them which are a good balance of deep music and the possibilties of modular.
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: all hardware setup

Post by TechnoMusic »

The fact that some hardware is dsp doesnt mean that the software alternative is in some way more beneficial. To argue that point and by rendering 'software in a box' pointless, contradicts your suggestion of NI Mascine, which is nothing more than what you were arguing against buying. So your point doesnt really make any sense.

Something like Maschine is faddish at best and will have little or no resale value in a few years. It's not the future, its the present and its to cater for the, 'I want everything done for me' producer mentality, it will be stuck in its own technological period and will become obsolete leaving another wasted 500 quid.
Lol spoken like someone who has never touched maschine, faddish my ass. Mashine is an incredible piece of kit with more potential than just about anything out there.

The software & hardware integration is so spot on that when you are using it you virtually never have to look at the computer. The other great thing about maschine is that when you make a tune in it you can then then decide to host maschine as a plugin for final mixdown, which is something that cannot be said of any groovebox hardware.

Maschine is also very easy to take on the road.

Yes decent hardware can get expensive but then so can software.
Yes but software gives you far more value for money and in a lot of case more options and ends up sounding better. Hardware pureists are fucking dinosaurs as far as Im concerned.
Theres obviously a lot of rubbish hardware out there and some of it wont stand the test of time. Im sure the OP realises this, hence the topic but since he actually wants a hardware set up, why offer the solution of, 'stick with software and get Maschine'? Why?
Because its a better option than getting a hardware based solution. I offered up NI Maschine as a solution because it offers an extremely good hardware interface to an excellently specified (and always improving) software suite.

I myself have some old analog kit I keep for old times sake but I mostly use it for sampling material and to be honest I haven't done that in months.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
Then add talented designers who are surfing the same wildeyed human techno wave as the musicians.
this is a critical factor, there is an unbelievable wave of new designs almost every week, its outstripping the rate of new software designs, and more importantly us modularheads are actually helping design the very things we want. we are in constant dialog with the designers who are small independant cottage industries doing it for the love.
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

::BLM:: wrote:What I would like to see is some videos/sound clips of people making decent music from modular because all I have seen so far is a loads of bleeps and strange noises. I'm intrigued in this sort of set-up alongside my current set-up,l but i cant find any decent videos of what modular does.
True dat, modular is something for all us nerds to geek out about but I hardly ever see any decent music being made with it. For every 100 experimental bloops video on you tube there will be 1 or 2 passable actual music with a modular video. It seems like mostly modular synthesis is for technicians and not musicians. Lol I might have a T-Shirt of that made. :)
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
lowpassfellow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lowpassfellow »

steevio wrote:i'm up at 8 in the morning and cant wait to get in the studio.
i totally feel the same, however my morning coffee leads me to my day job (which I'm thankfully passionate about as well). music allows me to distance myself from the daily grind and it's something i'll continue to pursue until the end. this is one of the reasons why i would like to expand my horizon and begin experimenting with hardware.