Learning Mixing

- ask away
Ldizzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ldizzy »

back at OP's original question...

the loudness thing...

see... a professional release often goes thru more then one step... u have the composition/prod, then the rough mix... and then it may hit a professional or semi-pro mixing facility... where tracks can be given a new life... and THEN mastering... (sometimes u add radio cause people try to achieve the radio effect out of their rough mixes.. forget it u cant, and wouldn't want that if u knew what u were doing...).

what u need to get is that ur mix could be inspired by other tracks and its good... but the best way to do it is probably by looking at that mix QUALITIES... (im making an analogy about quality and quantity.. to me.. a loud mix is an art.. but could here be seen more as something rather quantitative then qualitative)... when i say qualitative... i mean... think of the relationship between ur elements, the dimensions ur mix portrays... those things.. u know... the space each element takes...

a-b-ing can be daunting if ur comparing ur tracks down there, to the last single of ur favourite label up there... instead of trying to push ur mix as loud as theirs.. bring their track down to an appreciable level.. and then a.b... that way u can work ur mix in a qualitative, creative fashion..

then if u want it loud... u can either choose to smack the worst limiter/compressor/maximizer/normalizer processes on ur mixbus and hope for the best... or get some attention for ur tasteful mixing skills and get some money to send it to an actual hundredgrands-budgeted-ran-by-a-more-then-experimented-professional-engineer-who's-been-doing-this-forever mastering facility ... and get closer to ur goal...

u to choose :P
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

in a perfect world i'd send my tracks to dubplates and mastering . being a penniless producer has me attempting to do my own mastering. i'm looking back at 90's techno production, where many producers weren't mixing or mastering, the end-results were the product of their equipments charm and character going straight to tape.

some major problems with digital though, with analogue you can skip mixing/mastering and come out with some rough and decent sounding tracks. trying to do the same in a digital setting just doesn't translate as well.
Ldizzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ldizzy »

pafufta816 wrote:in a perfect world i'd send my tracks to dubplates and mastering . being a penniless producer has me attempting to do my own mastering. i'm looking back at 90's techno production, where many producers weren't mixing or mastering, the end-results were the product of their equipments charm and character going straight to tape.

some major problems with digital though, with analogue you can skip mixing/mastering and come out with some rough and decent sounding tracks. trying to do the same in a digital setting just doesn't translate as well.
i know people who can.... i promise.. and they didnt go to school.. its just easier to dial in ridiculous amounts with a mouse and to undo what u just did then with a console or some gear.... besides, computers make u focus a lot on visual info, which keeps u from focusing on what u hear...

theres a couple ways to go at it..

the money ud spend on gear, u could try spending them on at least one mix and one master...

cause ull never ever compete with a decent mastering.. .unless u become a successful mastering engineer....
Ldizzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ldizzy »

btw pm me, we could have a talk about that !

i have a couple ressources for beginning beginners, as im an advanced-beginner.. if one could say! (meaning reading is kinda overtime now and i need to actually DO sh!t to get better)
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

Ldizzy wrote:btw pm me, we could have a talk about that !

i have a couple ressources for beginning beginners, as im an advanced-beginner.. if one could say! (meaning reading is kinda overtime now and i need to actually DO sh!t to get better)
you have a very good point! i'll pm you my e-mail, if you have any good tips or recommendations i'm all ears. i've been producing for over a decade, but i am always realizing that i have so much to learn still.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Ldizzy wrote:
cause ull never ever compete with a decent mastering.. .unless u become a successful mastering engineer....
totally disagree.

sweeping generalisations like that dont take into account thousands of factors, like experience, equipment, tune construction techniques, style of music....etc

ive been managing fine for my entire career withour ever having had anything mastered professionally other than the tweaks done in the cutting room under my supervision.
and almost all my musician mates over the years have done the same.

this obsession with mastering these days i find totally bizarre, and i think its driven by the cut throat environment of digital music sales, and a generally impatinece for success and lack of production skills and experience.

if there was ever a style of music where mastering is the least important link in the chain its minimal techno.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

mastering was and is still a study. Tho the information is on the internet these days, so you can study at home. Ofcourse you need a fine acoustic and some quality monitors.

The most important are your ears and experience. I've some friends who master WAY better then lots of other idm mastering engineers (imo ofcourse).
Ldizzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ldizzy »

steevio wrote:
Ldizzy wrote:
totally disagree.

sweeping generalisations like that dont take into account thousands of factors, like experience, equipment, tune construction techniques, style of music....etc

ive been managing fine for my entire career withour ever having had anything mastered professionally other than the tweaks done in the cutting room under my supervision.
and almost all my musician mates over the years have done the same.

this obsession with mastering these days i find totally bizarre, and i think its driven by the cut throat environment of digital music sales, and a generally impatinece for success and lack of production skills and experience.

if there was ever a style of music where mastering is the least important link in the chain its minimal techno.
ahaahaha, re-reading myself i was an overgeneralizing brat yesterday...

writing this i went like... aight. and then i remembered this was the mnml forum... ( i come from a somewhat commercial hip hop background and dealing with vocals, ive always thought mastering was important... )

to me, ur absolutely right when u say an experienced producer, with tools they know... and a very creative sense can do very well without mastering, or even better then with average mastering... if u can, i say u are truly talented and very good at what u do

besides...some so called m.es ruin the work of the artists they work with and it seems to be hard to grow a good relationship with a good m.e....

my answer kinda went in that way : if ur a bedroom producer who's still learning and who's scared of mixdowns... ull hardly reach the objective of MASTERING tracks as well as a good mastering engineer, for quite a long time... a lot of people overstress about the quality of their releases and it refrains them from finishing tunes or putting them out... that thing can go forever... and i truly believe that for a whole lot of people... mastering is a complex thing to learn that dedicated people spend their life doing... and re-thinking about what ive said, i shouldn't've. ur right. besides, i kno ur a very experimented musician, far above anyhting ive done and i take it as schooling :D

now here's a more affirmed part of what i believe, tell me if u'd agree more.. : in my very opinion, as u stated... very good mixing doesnt require particular mastering... and in an analog fashion... very good production doesnt necessarily show a dependency towards a very good mixdown (altho in 2011 mixing and production are somewhat blurred together)...

reading the op's post i kinda felt that he was trying to make up for a poor mixing with some magical mixbus treatments similiar to mastering on the go... thus my very radical (wrong) answer. ill be responsible this time... and off course these are MY views.. and im noobish in that field, still.

i still tend to think, relying on other people sometimes can get u going more quickly in the creative process.. and ive suffered from attempts of making my tracks sound huge and fantastic comparing them with the last commercial release...

funny story...

i can't recall who it was but i have a vague memory of him being El-b, talking in an interview about how one of his favourite producers ( idk why buy i have Mj cole in mind if im not mistaken) didnt even operate a proper mixdown in the studio and just spent some time finding the right sounds, the right arrangements and the right processings while sampling... and his tracks still sounded fantastic...