what is non linear sequencing?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

yes i agree. i just thought it was silly saying modular is non linear and a DAW is not. there both non linear even if someone prefers one method to another or one is less non linear than the other.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

when talking about sequencing to compare DAW to modular methods (not just hardware, but, say MaxMSP or Numerology), to me there is a world of difference putting notes onto midi clips and actually playing with the skeleton of a sequencer.

I think Steevio has taken the idea of 'fractal' sequencing further than most. For me, I'm just talking about little sequencing machines that are playing each other. Midi notes in a DAW are 'blind'... you cannot have one midi track telling another one what to do. With modular, you can have an lfo controlling a sequence, you can have the output of one sequence controlling another one... telling it to go faster or slower, how long the sequence should be, whther it should go backwards or forwards.

THe term linear isn't that good. This isn't about the user or the end result, this is just about the methods. I'm not saying you can't do good stuff with midi clips on a timeline. I'm just saying that you can't build a little network of machines playing each other.

Here's a video clip I found on youtube. The music isn't really that inpsirational... but watch and listen to how it's playing itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ccpUoK ... re=related

(don't worry, I'm totally about to stop rabbitting on about modular soon)
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Ive actually done quite a bit of non linear sequencing and generative work with of all things Propellerheads reason.

All it really requires is the use of several LFOs set to non synchronised run mode interacting with each other and you get unpredictable (3 body problem chaos mathematics here) and non linear results. How parametrize the patterns and modulations of the sounds used is up to you.

I found that setting up several combinator modules each of which could feed out LFO controlled pattern change data to other combi patches containing mini sequencers running various synths and drum loops/patterns gave extremely unpredictable but sometimes quite musical results.

The chaotic nature of such patches could be made less random by using the CV trim knobs on the back of combi inputs.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

The term dates back to the early days of midi sequencers(think QX3/QX5/MC500) when pattern sequencing was not considered a required function in a sequencer. The midi sequencer was originally viewed as an extension of tape multitracking, and was thought to be a way to cheat your way into adding more voices to your mix.

At that point(say 1985) it was assumed that if you could play a part in time for five minutes on an open reel, you could do the same thing in a midi sequencer. So you play your first part for five minutes, then go to the next track and play that all the way through, and then do that a couple more times and then mix the whole thing back to two tracks on your open reel 8 track. You now have six tracks left for guitars, lead vocal, backing vocals and whatever else you wanted to add to the mix.

Those sequencers are referred to as linear sequencers because you had to play a part from start to finish in order to get it into the sequencer. A non-linear sequencer is any sequencer that allows you create a performance outside of real time. An MMT8, RM1x, and anything else that works by chaining patterns together is a non-linear sequencer.

By extension, recording live to open reel with no editing is linear recording. As soon as you use the block and razor on that tape, it is no longer linear. You are now working outside of real time.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

Also, a DAW doesn't HAVE to be non-linear, there are a million people(literally) who only know how to hit the red button in Garage Band and play. For them the DAW is a glorified tape recorder.

Now for any advanced user, nobody would forgo all the editing goodies rolled into an modern DAW.

</splitting>
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Ive used the term on here a number of times and its been totally understood. This thread just seems to be very pedantic and nonsensical. The term non linear sequencing, hasnt been coined here, it's been around for ages and it relates to arrangement (dont ask why it's not called non linear arranging ffs)

Linear = going along a timeline, 1 dimensional.

The linear arrangement on a daw apps page, is a 1 dimensional run from beginning to end. If you were playing back that track it would obviously always remain the same.

Regardless of how you want to define the term, its used to suggest an approach to arrangment that isnt predetermined. In other words, you could literally 'dj' your parts and have a different outcome every time. Its as simple as that.
KryoShift
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KryoShift »

non-linear, for example, could be sampling loops from your song to different keys/pads/patters on the sampler and then playing back the song that way. kicks on one key, hats on another, verse melody on a key, etc.

Kind of adds a bit of human groove to your song if you do it that way.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

KryoShift wrote:non-linear, for example, could be sampling loops from your song to different keys/pads/patters on the sampler and then playing back the song that way. kicks on one key, hats on another, verse melody on a key, etc.

Kind of adds a bit of human groove to your song if you do it that way.
I dont want humans involved in my music. Humans are evil, we must destroy ALL evil. Lol