Toronto not ready for minimal...

- open
faunty
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by faunty »

haha love ur signature entropy, but you forgot the last bit: "Derrick Carter might take a pill for fun, but not to feel the funk."

I wouldn't ever worry about DJ's popularizing minimal. There is a push and a lot of dj's dabbling in it. But that is just where there is a lot of quality production right now. When you have hard techno giants like beyer exploring more minimal stuff, you know the poor strictly hard techno DJ's are at a loss to find new quality tracks.

I think minimal is too broad of a term/sound that it will never explode into something that is that widely accepted. even the minimalish that is getting pushed broader now is still more dancefloor friendly with enough familiar elements of techno, electro and house.

but then again hawtin is composing for the olympics. perhaps billions will be sitting in their rockers this Friday and open up the doors of musical perception all hell will break lose and theyll be storming the streets in a pounding minimal to maximal frenzy worldwide- beginning the mainstream minimal revolution :wink:

i say viva la revolucion :roll:
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

faunty wrote:

but then again hawtin is composing for the olympics. perhaps billions will be sitting in their rockers this Friday and open up the doors of musical perception all hell will break lose and theyll be storming the streets in a pounding minimal to maximal frenzy worldwide- beginning the mainstream minimal revolution :wink:

i say viva la revolucion :roll:

LOL

Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

mauro picotto mnml???? OMG :lol:
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

entropy wrote: Why? Because then i start thinking how minimal is becoming so fucking HIP and that everyone's going to play it, and that it'll get to being something like trance, all too comercialized... i'd never want that to happen to minimal! :cry:
But seriously, how can minimal music be commercial? The whole point of minimalism is to only include what is necessary, and that just isnt the case with popular music. Where are the cheesy vocals, cuz i havent heard any? Can minimal music become more successful? Certainly! Is it a bad thing when people start listening to minimal music instead of shitty trance and house? No! The artists need the support.

Could the hip backlash? They probably will. The progression in the last 8 odd years has been prog trance, prog house, tech-house, and here we are now. The posers will eat up the next thing the british press tells them what is cool and the "converted" will keep listening.

Maybe a problem is that too much of this "minimal" music is not fuckign minimal at all. It does not have a small number of sounds, space between the sounds, the melodies are too developed, etc. Does that make it sh!t music, no! Just a bad labling. Maybe there is no appropriate drawer to file some of this stuff in, but a rose by any other name smells just as nice.
freeeeeee
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

Der geile Ami wrote: Maybe a problem is that too much of this "minimal" music is not fuckign minimal at all. It does not have a small number of sounds, space between the sounds, the melodies are too developed, etc. Does that make it sht music, no! Just a bad labling. Maybe there is no appropriate drawer to file some of this stuff in, but a rose by any other name smells just as nice.
i agree. it is what it is.
Cribby
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cribby »

Well I give Picotto credit for trying out something new for him...and if minimal becomes commercial I'd say it's cause of Hawtin...I think alot of us fear everything that becomes commercial....Who cares really. I mean would you stop listening to minimal if it started playing on Z103? LOL...As for support, I'll attend any event I can. I even talked to to one of the promoters of Footwork to try to get Magda to play this year. We'll see how that goes.
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

Cribby wrote:But that's the problem with Toronto really...underground is becoming commercial...
Try thinking about music with more interesting paradigms then "underground" and "commercial" and maybe you'll have something worthwhile to say.

No disrespect intended, but broadcasting this kind of stuff isn't going to do much in the way of generating any real conversation about Toronto and the music scene(s) in it or any other city. Unless of course you're just looking to bitch, in which case.. carry on.

,g
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Yes. Underground or commercial, it does not matter, it's still music or art of some sort whether you like it or not. This is not the issue in Toronto. Toronto simply has it's own focuses. It's not a European type city. The fact is, EDM is just not as widespread in North America as it is in Europe.