MNML producers BEWARE !!!!

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

So do people think that carlola just doesnt give a sh!t anymore and just releases any old tripe because people will be into it no matter what?

I have these carola vinyls called 'question' which are properly good. He obviously knows his sh!t, so i dont get this release from him. its been done a million times before.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

agree - the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th question etc are all really good, although - it's worth noting - I collected a hell of a lot of vinyl from before and during that period, and a lot of carolla's stuff at the time was considered pretty formulaic and bland even then.

If you follow his career objectively - he has seemingly - jumped on every bandwagon that's popped up when it comes to techno.

I still have a soft spot for him though, I've enjoyed his DJ sets a few times although one time I went to see him - I wasn't allowed in because I was wearing trainers - that definately says a lot - he's a follower of trends and tends to play in pretty trendy places where they obviously don't like people who have been supporting their music for years, buying all the records etc. At the end of the day they'd rather have people who've never bought music in their life but can afford to pay 200 quid on a paid of fancy loafers ;)

So yeah - I'm not sure integrity as regards music is really high on his agenda, which is a shame, because if he put some effort in - I'm sure he'd be really amazing.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Is he a DJ or Producer though? What is he known for? Perhaps he has just made a living out of making club fodder because all he wants to do is DJ?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

::BLM:: wrote:Is he a DJ or Producer though? What is he known for? Perhaps he has just made a living out of making club fodder because all he wants to do is DJ?
Well, he has made tons of records since the 90ties, where he made some pretty cool looping techno and also the more tribal based ala Questions.
And I remember having him play at a party in 98/99 or something, 3 decks proper techno all the way, was very cool.

This new release is quite boring :(
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

You will know yourself that that's a really blurred line these days but yeah - I think he's always been known as both.

Incidentally - I was trying to think of one of his productions that showcase that he's always been 'in-line' with trends.

If you take this remix he did for slam under their pressure funk guise in 1999 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsQhTisRMU

It's basically a carbon copy of most of the techno that was kicking about at the time - I caned this record to death back then, and I was recently listening to it and pondering how similar it was in particular to joel mull / henrik b etc, not that he was the only one that was at it, I'm pretty sure I've got a record somewhere that's just a 16bar sample from this track repeated and filtered.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

Its not the worst thing I've heard, there's some right shite about.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

patrick bateman wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Is he a DJ or Producer though? What is he known for? Perhaps he has just made a living out of making club fodder because all he wants to do is DJ?
Well, he has made tons of records since the 90ties, where he made some pretty cool looping techno and also the more tribal based ala Questions.
And I remember having him play at a party in 98/99 or something, 3 decks proper techno all the way, was very cool.

This new release is quite boring :(
I have just one of the Question releases. It has two deep techno cuts on the ep that are fantastic. I play them all the time despite them being made more then a decade ago and they still sound fresh.

This is the one I play... The other side is great as well, but there is no youtube video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0cz2GIjOF8

I'm not keen on this release, but even if he chops and changes between whats hot at the moment is that really something for us to look down upon? I have thought about this a lot recently. I have friends who do very well from music 1000 euro per gig etc... and me just doing my own little thing and not really getting anywhere. They say to me all the time I should make some dancefloor bombs and then the DJ gigs would come but i can only do what I feel. Now if I had to ability to be a machine and make dancefloor stuff should I do it? Surely its better that Marco has done what he has done to survive then work a sh!t job he hates on the side?
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

The track isn't really all that bad. Marco's released stuff like this his whole career because it fits perfectly with the type of mixing he does. I still think Marco is one of the best techno dj's out there. I always have a great time when he's playing.

I think the reviewer had a bad day and took it out on Marco. There are definitely way worse tracks out there. If anything, we should be mad that Marco's been releasing stuff like this his whole career and getting away with it; not just getting mad now.

The groove sounds exactly like a Marco track would/should. However that stupid synth part that starts at 2:40 and continues during the "peak" of the track is horrible. That stupid sound has been penetrating all kinds of dance music recently and it's got to go. I can't believe people love that crap.