Roland SH 101 repair question??

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:potentiometers can be found here:

http://www.technologytransplant.com/ind ... th=30_29_4

Jay, you're either gonna need to find a qualified technician or a friend who is prepared for what could be a tough job, or you're gonna need to do some hard work and learning yourself. You will need to do some investigation to narrow the fault down, and you will need to use a multimeter. There are people on forums on the internet who are always happy to help, but if you want to go down that route you will need to learn everything that you can yourself and ask once you get stuck.

It's possible that the Amplifier is the part that is broken, if the envelope isn't working. That's the part I mentioned that is the same one from 303 (BA662a).

It's a one of a kind machine. (that filter! rar) So I think it could be worth the trouble.
nice one mark matey !

theyve even got the battery covers ! ive got one missing, and the other broken on my 101s
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
Sequential circuits pro-one?
Moog prodigy?
Moog rogue?

Anyway, my post doesnt help in the sense of fixing anything but I was wondering if someone with a modular could potentially recreate the sound of the 101? I've seen passable 303's, minimoog type stuff but I wouldnt really know.
i think this guy has got a 101 filter in design stage for modular, i predict you'l be able to get some nice 101 reproductions in modular in the next year or two; theres virtually nothing that isnt being attempted in modular right now;

http://www.amsynths.co.uk/index.htm
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@AK

while i use my SH101 alot for bass also ( because its awesome for it), it's also quite a versatile synth and has been used for some totally classic lead lines in Detroit and Chicago tunes.

i think it sounds ace whatever you do with it.

theres always a reason why some synths go up in value and others dont so much. dont underestimate the power of the SH101
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:@AK

while i use my SH101 alot for bass also ( because its awesome for it), it's also quite a versatile synth and has been used for some totally classic lead lines in Detroit and Chicago tunes.

i think it sounds ace whatever you do with it.

theres always a reason why some synths go up in value and others dont so much. dont underestimate the power of the SH101
Defo, I didn't exclusively use it for bass but it was the only synth I had then that was capable of doing decent bass, other synths were a Roland D5, Casio CZ101, DX100, so not the best bunch compared to the 101 for bass. It just got used that way because of the other synths shortcomings but I happened to get a lot more out of it when I got a sampler. I remember I had a Boss drum and it didn't have a 909 type kick, so I actually used a processed kick I made on the 101.

I was into Electro then too, so had a retro type view on sound design. Don't forget though that the 101 was a budget synth wasn't it. It's not exactly that versatile but then it's not a one-trick pony either is it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^

its not versatile compared to modern designs, but it does the basics well, and sometimes the basics are the most important, quite often i go for basic sounds in my music, they have a clarity, rawness and power, maybe not the synth for an experimentalist, but if you want fat sounds....
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

The BA662a can be subbed for a B6110. But the pin out is different, so you might need some strip board to make up a sub-circuit.
I have never opened up a SH101, but you will need to make sure there is room for it inside.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I wouldn't pay £800 for a sh101, you could probably get a small modular for that.
Which I think would probably be more useful in the long run, and much cheaper to maintain.

Each to his own tho! ;)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lem wrote:I wouldn't pay £800 for a sh101, you could probably get a small modular for that.
Which I think would probably be more useful in the long run, and much cheaper to maintain.

Each to his own tho! ;)
That's pretty much my feelings, as much as I really liked my 101 ( wish I never sold it now ) I would have to maintain a certain cut off point where the sound of the 101 and its flexibility versus its price would come into play. With these sorts of prices that have been mentioned here, I would be tempted by other things for sure. It's good but it's not that good. My personal opinion of course.