ableton limiting

- ask away
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

it's true. but it's not really a "limiter". It's just that the output will not go over the 0dB border, so it's more of a clipping. I think it's the same for logic too.

so basically you could use live master buss for limiting/clipping duties...could sound ok but there's certainly other tools that are dedicated to do this.

you guys can test it simple: just load a track and adjust the master fader, so that the levels go way over 0dB. load the file back into live or any other DAW and you'll see it stops at 0dB. no need for endless speculations ;)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Also have a look that your Ableton master Fader is set to 0dB. A lot of producers take there channel levels too high,
then go down with the master fader to prevent output distortions. What most people don´t know that in the master section
is also a Limiter involved. So this limiter works & make your recording loud.
It is good to have a limiter like Voxengo Elephant or similar in the master bus to monitor/check the level. Just set it to 0dB
when it starts working/limiting you know that your level is a bit too high.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

miro pajic wrote:it's true. but it's not really a "limiter". It's just that the output will not go over the 0dB border, so it's more of a clipping. I think it's the same for logic too.

so basically you could use live master buss for limiting/clipping duties...could sound ok but there's certainly other tools that are dedicated to do this.

you guys can test it simple: just load a track and adjust the master fader, so that the levels go way over 0dB. load the file back into live or any other DAW and you'll see it stops at 0dB. no need for endless speculations ;)

well how could a digital recording go over 0db??? inherently not possible, nothing to do with ableton or any other software
Last edited by jobbanaught on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

::BLM:: wrote:
Also have a look that your Ableton master Fader is set to 0dB. A lot of producers take there channel levels too high,
then go down with the master fader to prevent output distortions. What most people don´t know that in the master section
It is good to have a limiter like Voxengo Elephant or similar in the master bus to monitor/check the level. Just set it to 0dB

never heard of that, never experienced that, no info in the manual... if anybody has verified info please fill me in, otherwise i consider it to be another myth about ableton.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

jobbanaught wrote:

never heard of that, never experienced that, no info in the manual... if anybody has verified info please fill me in, otherwise i consider it to be another myth about ableton.
This is silly...

To me all that guy is saying is to add a limiter in there because that is the place for one. It is very easy to clip the master even if it doesn't look like it is coming close... He is recommending that you don't go near this unless you have a limiter on the master.
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

jobbanaught wrote:
miro pajic wrote:it's true. but it's not really a "limiter". It's just that the output will not go over the 0dB border, so it's more of a clipping. I think it's the same for logic too.

well how could a digital recording go over 0db??? inherently not possible, nothing to do with ableton or any other software
that is what I was saying! (My "it's true" was actually wrong, I meant-->) It is CLIPPING and not limiting = not the same even if kind of similar.
Nevertheless clipping can be used in a smilar way (or work hand in hand) for creative reasons or some people would call it limiting, while it's not.
Mastering engineers clip their converters on purpose for "that" certain effect - different to "limiting",
which is working with attack, release and other (intelligent) functions to not hard clip the audio instead of radically shaving of the peaks.

NO limiter hidden. It's just digital clipping you're causing going above the 0dB (and leaving the floating point world, by rendering the audio)

I wonder who that "mastering engineer" is...

Anyway...it's pretty known by now to stay as far as possible away from the 0dB border on the mixbuss (Doesn't matter if -4dB or -10dB).
Leave the rest to the mastering stage. Amen.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

hydrogen wrote:
jobbanaught wrote: never heard of that, never experienced that, no info in the manual... if anybody has verified info please fill me in, otherwise i consider it to be another myth about ableton.
This is silly...

To me all that guy is saying is to add a limiter in there because that is the place for one. It is very easy to clip the master even if it doesn't look like it is coming close... He is recommending that you don't go near this unless you have a limiter on the master.
i get that point and its perfectly valid
What most people don´t know that in the master section
but this implied to me something else
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

miro pajic wrote:
jobbanaught wrote:

that is what I was saying! (My "it's true" was actually wrong, I meant-->) It is CLIPPING and not limiting = not the same even if kind of similar.
Nevertheless clipping can be used in a smilar way (or work hand in hand) for creative reasons or some people would call it limiting, while it's not.
Mastering engineers clip their converters on purpose for "that" certain effect - different to "limiting",
which is working with attack, release and other (intelligent) functions to not hard clip the audio instead of radically shaving of the peaks.

NO limiter hidden. It's just digital clipping you're causing going above the 0dB (and leaving the floating point world, by rendering the audio)

I wonder who that "mastering engineer" is...

Anyway...it's pretty known by now to stay as far as possible away from the 0dB border on the mixbuss (Doesn't matter if -4dB or -10dB).
Leave the rest to the mastering stage. Amen.
In that case... Amen.