Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

- ask away
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

Post by ray parry »

does the phatty have the cutoff and the res on the same control? how does that work?

sounds rubbish too me.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

There are buttons below the filter knob for cutoff, res, eg amount etc... When you press the button it lights up and the knob controls that function.
I read somewhere that you can assign an unrelated knob to any function. So you could assign the Oscillator knob to resonance and keep the Filter knob for cutoff. Although I haven't tried this yet....Might have read it wrong.

I think it's designed more as a 'players' synth. So with one hand playing one hand controlling.

If it sounds rubbish, don't get one? :roll:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i thinks very subjective the 'prefer the sound to the voyager' thing

maybe people who are looking to make the kind of sounds you hear all the time in todays techno-pop music, brash aggressive tones etc.. and like the digital/software synth approach to programming.

i bet you can count the number of people who sold Voyagers in the whole world to buy phatties on three fingers
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Yeah, selling a Voyager to get a phatty sounds insane.

I'm curious to hear some of the demo's of this though.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:i bet you can count the number of people who sold Voyagers in the whole world to buy phatties on three fingers
There is a thread on muffs about the Little Phatty about it. A shocking amount of people 'say' they owned both and prefered the phatty. I don't think anyone sold one to get the other, it was more like owned both at the same time.

I was interested because I thought the module designs were the same other than the feature sets. Apparently not.

If anything, finally owning a Moog synth is making me seriously lust after a Voyager. There are things about a synth of that calibre that I didn't really understand until I got one.
Phase Ghost wrote:I'm curious to hear some of the demo's of this though.
I came across some demo's on youtube when I was looking at DSI stuff. By comparison I thought "This thing has got some Balls." Can I afford it? probably not. Got one anyway, it arrived yesterday. Turned it on and was like, holy sh!t!
I have only scratched the surface of it, but it sounded a lot better in the flesh than even the demo's made it out to be.

I guess I am really used to my environment so it's the best way to properly gauge how good something is.
There was always dout in my mind about spending £1700 on a Voyager when for the money I could get a ultra-flexible modular. But after my taste of moog I don't think I would think twice.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

^^^^

You got a minitaur already? I didn't think they were shipping yet.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

No, a Slim phatty. Sorry if I made it seem that way, I am at work...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

yeah Moogs are the dogs bollox, there's just nothing that sounds like them, the DSI stuff is weak in comparison.

i hear what you're saying about a modular, but its a tight one, i seriously couldnt live without my Voyager, its at the heart of everything i do, the modular integrates with it so well, but i'm glad i got the Voyager first.

if you are just moving into analogue synths from VA, then the Voyager will teach you most of what you need to know before embarking on a modular.

the best decisions i ever made in my life as a musican were to buy a Voyager and start building a modular, i simply need nothing else, and doubt if i ever will, its going to take a massive shift in digital technology to get me interested in that again, we'll see.

edit; its a weird one because in the world of visuals analogue just cant compete, digital rules totally, strange how with music it hasnt taken over in the same way, theres something intangible there. its seems that digital only really wins due to cost and convenience, not necessarily quality.