maths' geniouses?

- open
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

isaac wrote:maths is cool , when u get it. i did for a bit but it is slipping aweay! noooo
that's true :)
when you don't get it, it's really really frustrating and annoying :D
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

at least it has a set of rules and you generally know if you have the right answer, especially when moving away from 'pure' maths into something more applied like mechanics...

and if you work at it you can learn the right way to do things...

I did get beaten eventually though... Div and curl and partial differentials in polar co-ordinate systems.. :shock:

yik
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

mayzee wrote:
I did get beaten eventually though... Div and curl and partial differentials in polar co-ordinate systems.. :shock:

yik
hehe, we got that atm (or we just finished it). regarding div/curl and double/triple integrals; it's all about knowing how to use stoke's/green's/the divergency teorems and regular integration(?) :)

partial differentials is just the same as regular differentials (one variable) but double the amount of work hehe :)

the worst subject i've had about this semester in one of the two mathsterms we got is by far triple integrals with spheric co-ordinates (and spheric co-ordinates systems in general, it's messed up to draw them hehe).

the most boring has to be matrixes and that package (eigenvectors,etc) blaAAAAAAh! :)
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

mmm...

know what you mean about remembering identities for using div and curl etc... but that was my problem, I could never remember them...

eigenvalues/vectors seem to be a complete waste of time until you look at stuff like schroedingers wave equations... then the eigenvalues pop out the energy state solutions for the waveform... which is handy...

thats one of the great things about physics I think... it stops maths just being about numbers and makes it about 'real' things too... :)
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

true :) but i have some years left at the university before i get there hehe :)
so atm eigenvectors etc is zzz :D

but looking forward to get more physics terms next semester :-)
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

Man you guys are ALL sick. I just wanted to post here so I can have my name associated with thread title "math's geniouses" as I failed it every year! 8)
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

hehe 8)

had my first maths exam on wednesday, think it went well.. physics on monday, and a new math exam the 7th. the 12th is viva la sonar! :shock: :D
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Math is kinda cool. I always love math class when I'm stoned.
Wouldn't practice it in my spare time though.
The cool thing about it is how can you can explain alot of things with it.