Minimal vs. Downtempo ???

- open
DiL8
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DiL8 »

dou wrote:i agree just as long as u dont believe u are listening to techno while being a tiesto fan
ROFL :lol:
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Hmm, I always thought downtempo was some kind of lame easy-listening being too insignificant to be actually played in elevators which, at some point, ends in a commercial for milk or something like that.
Oh, or the kind of thing you hear when you go shopping with your girlfriend.
:oops:
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

downtempo quite equals trip-hop for me.
I guess minimal (techno), deep house and such is not widely concidered as downtempo music.

some OT: about this kriipis tulo - ujuja it's kinda weird he's EP names are in estonian :p (hes latvian himself)
And it should be "päevane", "õhtune " and "öine ujuja" (day, evening and night swimmer) not paevane, ohtune and oone.

very nice music though :wink:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Robot Criminal wrote:downtempo quite equals trip-hop for me.
I guess minimal (techno), deep house and such is not widely concidered as downtempo music.
kinda, but if you listen to massive, tricky, portishead or sneaker pimps you can hear that little difference that makes them two worlds. funny, but trip hope is only known because of a few artists, while downtempo has like a zillion names.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

also perhaps where your from.... could be a variable as well.

many here in detroit play very fast bpm sets....

so something around 120...... more or less is downtempo from a starting point of 135...haha.

i've also heard the expression minimal is cheese and wine listening music ....as perhaps downtempo or trip hop?

either way people want to slam it or label it.. I think the dance rule is simple.. if it's funky you can dance to it no matter what the tempo..:!:
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

plaster wrote:
Robot Criminal wrote:downtempo quite equals trip-hop for me.
kinda, but if you listen to massive, tricky, portishead or sneaker pimps you can hear that little difference that makes them two worlds. funny, but trip hope is only known because of a few artists, while downtempo has like a zillion names.
Yeah exactly like the bands u named - its downtempo for me :P
john clees wrote: i've also heard the expression minimal is cheese listening music ....
:lol:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
bleupulp
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by bleupulp »

4 me downtempo is the stuff that sounds slow n smooth w/ rythms and a more groovy / organic feel into it ,,,

but its just the way i see it