all hardware setup

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:By the way, don't the patch cords do your headfs in when they are covering all the knobs and stuff?
the secret is velcro cable ties !
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

AK wrote:By the way, don't the patch cords do your headfs in when they are covering all the knobs and stuff?
I have been thinking the same thing. I am considering starting a modular myself, but I think I will go with a 5 panel format. There is a million times more going on in eurorack, but I just can't get behind the format.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:^^ agreed. they have different uses and after years and years of playing with them i can tell they are not the same. the thing is the modular guys you have found something that works for you, but some of you just go on and on about how great modular is and just bash everything else now which isnt helpful at all. When we try and voice an opinion you then go off on one saying we are bashing modular when all we are doing is sharing our opinion just like you. If im interested in something I am of course going to question what you are saying, so there is no need to be so uptight.
In software, I certainly dont think it all sounds the same, theres a lot of difference. Take FM8, compare it to korg ms20 software. Then compare that to its polysix, then compare all the above to Absynth. Its as diverse as hardware, no 2 ways about it. Mind you, that doesnt mean I like it, just making my point.
For sure. I think its bit elitist to say they all sound the same and modular is better. if someone can make amazing music on vsts then its stupid to bash them. just because it doesnt work for you, doesnt mean to say they all sound the same. If you open up and listen to a square wave from different vsts they sound different.
I think somewhere along the line you misunderstood me. I didn't anywhere say that all vsts sound the same, I was just talking about how they are made. How does a vst make it's sound? Believe me I spent a lot of time studying this and working with software.

I hope you understand it's very difficult for me to talk about modular without seeming like I'm going on and on. It's impossible to describe the exact feelings I have about it, and how it has changed my life as a musician. I'm not trying to be arrogant or elitist. I respect all people who try to do something with passion, even though I can probably seem like a bit of an arsehole sometimes when I talk about subjects close to my heart.

I am still going to get blown away by people making music entirely on software and feel like my music sucks in comparison. Most early dubstep is all software, and that is some of the most far out and deepest electronic music that has ever come into being.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Casanova808 wrote:There is a million times more going on in eurorack, but I just can't get behind the format.
Why's that?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the panels are too small. arf arf.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Casanova808 wrote:
I have been thinking the same thing. I am considering starting a modular myself, but I think I will go with a 5 panel format. There is a million times more going on in eurorack, but I just can't get behind the format.
i nearly did the same thing, i was so used to my Moog that i thought the eurorack would be too fiddly, but jeez i'm so glad i didnt now.

you get used to it real quick and you get more for your money and way more choice.... its where the expansion is right now.

yeah the big knobs would be really nice, but it would probably count out using it live, too big, too heavy ;)
i think 5U may become the myspace of the modular world. you may have to grow a beard and wear a cardigan bro

velcro cable ties !!!!!!!!!!!!!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^
apologies if you already have a beard and wear a cadigan :oops:
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

steevio wrote:^^^