Music Theory

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm sorry for the turbulence i caused in the space-time continuum there guys, so i'd like to throw something positive in, by telling you one way i utilised music theory in an experimental capacity.
last year i got hold of an Andromeda A6 synth, mainly because it was the best way i could get a hold of 32 analogue sinewave oscillators in a box. i tuned the first osc. by ear to a fundamental tone that resonated with me, and then i set about tuning all of the oscillators to the upper harmonics of that fundamental.
next i put the individual outputs (16) into individual channels on my analogue mixing desk and ran a simple midi pattern to trigger the osc's.
so each fader controlled two harmonics. then using my fingers on both hands 'played' the faders. as a guitar player i found it quite easy to manipulate each individual fader in different ways with my fingers, and after a few days of practice i found i could get a flow going so that i was interacting with the harmonics intuitively and creating some unusual soundscapes.
i was keen to use the 7th, 11th, 13th and 14th harmonics, as these are the ones which are heavily 'tempered' in the western scale, so we dont normally hear them when playing a keyboard (the notes between the notes) and they can quite often sound strange to us because we have become so used to hearing the tempered scale. after a few days brainwashing i found i could relate to some of them easily while others still sounded a bit weird.
to cut a very very long story short, i eventually came up with a pallette of harmonics which resonated with me, and a way of manually manipulating them in an improvisational way, so i was creating my own waveforms with my fingers. i quite often find mathematically perfect waves such as sawtooths and manipulating them with filters crude, you end up hearing the same sound as the next guy using the same method. so i was being my own organic filter.
i progressed on by assigning different midi-patterns to different harmonics, adding noise and using resonant filters on subgrouped harmonics to create percussive clusters, so on and so on, and eventually created a bunch of tunes from just the harmonics of one fundamental tone and nothing but sine waves.
i wasnt doing anything new, this is basically the principal of additive synthsesis, but it felt very personal, and it was cool to try a different method of expression.
vviizzoonn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vviizzoonn »

it's all about rhythm, anyway ;)
basic miniwall
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by basic miniwall »

if u produce............u must have talent,
if u got talent.........u should produce
talent is a producer......but percistance is music
and copy will newer beat tha original
pps sory 4 crappy english
gmschroeder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Music Theory

Post by gmschroeder »

steevio wrote: you will find you have a resonance with certain scales, maybe its from your deep ancestry.
Please tell me you're kidding.

Otherwise, non-western scales are SO 1987 Seattle.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Music Theory

Post by steevio »

gmschroeder wrote:
steevio wrote: you will find you have a resonance with certain scales, maybe its from your deep ancestry.
Please tell me you're kidding.

Otherwise, non-western scales are SO 1987 Seattle.
no i wasn't kidding,
it all depends on your belief system, and mine happens to incorporate the possibility that our response to certain frequencies and mathematical combinations of frequencies, may go deeper than conventional science or music theory can explain thats all.

and what's the detuning of strings on a fender mustang and banging it through a big muff till theres no harmonics left got to do with it ?
moogz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by moogz »

For instant gratification, try the legendary Hotz MIDI translator (preferably on a 1040ST!)
I've not tried it myself, but it's designed for what you're after.