Analog-ising

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

damagedgoods wrote:
I think that must be the case. What I mean by raw: old acid house records, complete with noise, vinyl scratches and crackles, overdriven channels.
if you want that overdriven channel sound, its easy, get yourself a small analogue mixer. they arent expensive, and you get overdrive at the simple turn of a knob, and it will have hundreds of other uses too.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

I've got one, and I do. :)
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

a friend of mine used to get lots of praise from some very big names for his vintage analogue sound, he also released on very influencial labels back in "ye ol' days", and they all asked what gear he used. He never told 'em, but in fact he used an old Amiga with some tracker software, and just ran the whole sound through the IN of a twenty year old TV and recorded the output of the headphone connector on DAT.
So much for those connaisseurs and their must-only-use-real-analog-instruments fetisj :lol:

Granted, it sounded amazing. But it also showed me that there's no such thing as 'must use'. If you don't get the right sound from whatever you use, digital or analog, chances are that you simply didn't find the way yet how to do it. Experimentation is the key ingredient to everything.

I also think that people simply focuss too much on getting this or that sound too clean or too dirty. In the end, everything changes so much because of the needles you use to play it back, the speakers, the mixer, the PA, whatever. While they are fiddling with getting that itsy bitsy sound in the background just right, they often forget that their track isn't as great or it doesn't feel alive or it doesn't boom on the floor.
Mind you, I'm convinced you should try to make it sound as best as possible but so much time is wasted sometimes on details that people tend to forget the big picture.

Then again, I do think too much. ;)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

there are ways of adding noise in a DAW and i'm not talking about emulation plug-ins. if you timestretch stuff change and the pitch so it's unreconsisrable, then try and get it back to how it sounded in the first place you get loads of digital artifacts that sound very different to analog. is was playing around with this yesterday and got some interesting results.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

loranga wrote:ive heard alot of good things about the waldorf pulse and dsi mopho and these synths used costs something like a vst.
+1000000

My advice for everybody working ITB who is not satisfied with his sound, get a cheap analog synth with an analog filter (important), connect the wires and play some notes 8)
Ill never forget the day when i got my first real synth (a waldorf pulse) and fired it up the first time thinking "ahh, thats the way you do it!!!" Seriously, try it out, you need far less processing than with a VSTi, because the sound is already full and gritty at the same time. And there is lots of rather cheap analog synths on ebay.
zxcv
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by zxcv »

my tips are tapedelay by the interruptor and
gs-201 space echo for a more analog sound
but i miss a good analog sounding filter and compression vst
any tips
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i've given up with finding plugins that do analogue stuff.

it's possible to find code that can approximate the sonic characterisics of a phyisical peice of technology like a transistor, or a vacuum tube or a tape, but it will never have the same vibe.

And besides I think it's total waste of digital technology to use it like this. (th0o not saying that digital musical technology has nothing to learn from analogue equipment).

But sure, do whatever works for you. If you get sounds that you like from plugins that approximate analogue technology then who am i to say that you can't.
bleepbleep
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bleepbleep »

PsyTox wrote:a friend of mine used to get lots of praise from some very big names for his vintage analogue sound, he also released on very influencial labels back in "ye ol' days", and they all asked what gear he used. He never told 'em, but in fact he used an old Amiga with some tracker software, and just ran the whole sound through the IN of a twenty year old TV and recorded the output of the headphone connector on DAT.
So much for those connaisseurs and their must-only-use-real-analog-instruments fetisj :lol:
Lol thats classic