bassline tips

- ask away
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

the only time i would have bass at 120hz is if i had a massive 808 style kick filling out the bottom.
indeed.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Dusk wrote:
Martian Telecom wrote:. You have to give the speaker an opportunity to rest so that it can push air.
Drum and bass producers would argue otherwise!
After producing drum and bass for many years and techno for even more years... i would respectfully disagree with this. But there are more than 1 ways to give the speaker and your ears a break.

Volume modulation is one method and pitch modulation is another. A solid sine or bass note will lose its impact unless there is a change of dynamics in either pitch or volume.

On my first record i put a solid bass tone that continued non stop while the kick ran. I don't believe there was much modulation on it and I wish i could go back and put just enough gap in it to give it just a little more impact. over a minute of bass roaring over the kick it sort of loses itself. The kick helped to break it up but i don't think it was enough.

Oh well lesson learned! Dynamics are important! :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

well now that we have 400,000 different opinions, lets just say do what works...
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

That sounds terribly reasonable, but I am afraid there is only one correct way to mix a kick drum and a bass line.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Martian Telecom wrote:That sounds terribly reasonable, but I am afraid there is only one correct way to mix a kick drum and a bass line.

i can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but that is absolutely not true. Mixing is not an exact science, it is an aesthetic process.

There are general rules, but not one correct way. Unless that correct way is simple, "don't let them clash"
monophunk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by monophunk »

livecollective wrote:
Martian Telecom wrote:That sounds terribly reasonable, but I am afraid there is only one correct way to mix a kick drum and a bass line.

i can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but that is absolutely not true. Mixing is not an exact science, it is an aesthetic process.

There are general rules, but not one correct way. Unless that correct way is simple, "don't let them clash"
+1 :!:
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

That is incorrect, please try again.
paulyoungproductions
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by paulyoungproductions »

tone-def wrote:
Maiyal wrote:
livecollective wrote: but 40-60 hz is where my sub bass is...

I would high pass the kick at like 80, and lp the sub bass at like 90-100, then fix as needed...
High pass your kick at 80? I thought the "click-kick" was an old thing to do by now.
:shock:

i wouldn't high pass my bass at 25Hz. high passing bass is the worse thing you can do.

33Hz is the orgasm note.

Hey tone def can i ask you why you think 33Hz is the orgasm note? im kinda interested hah

thanks