help me first gear to buy

- ask away
codix
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by codix »

what i ask me now is, how to hear correct.
I mean we all have our own opinion on sound and own understanding.
You guys know what i mean?

How do i choose the right music for testing stuff like this.
Is there a way to train the ears or the listening?

I hope it´s possible to understand what i mean :)

so far good thread, with good informations for us beginners :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Hades wrote: nowadays there's still stuff software won't do, but you'd be a fool in my opinion to be a hardware-only guy.
well then that makes me a fool bro.

i dont feel like a fool.

i feel like i made the exact right choices for me all along the line (apart from when i first started out)

hardware works for me, i hate working on a screen. i need a knob or a slider for every job in my studio, so that i can just reach out in an instant and get what i want in realtime.

maybe its not what everyone wants, but for some people its the only way.

we arent fools, we just do things in a different way.

i do think that you can learn alot with just software and if you wish, go on to hardware later. what i was saying was if you do go on to hardware or want to start with it, do the research and get the good sh!t.

btw bro how long have you had your Andromeda ?
i thought it was the holy grail before i bought one, then after 3 years of frustration got rid of it, and it wasnt because i couldnt handle it. i totally understood it, but it was the most unintuitive, fiddly un-userfriendly synth ive ever had, and didnt sound all that hot either.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I think starting out with software is smart because you can learn a lot without spending too much. The first purchase other than Logic or Ableton or whatever should be a pair of monitors. I don't think you should break the bank on monitors at first though. Anything will be better than fuckin pc speakers or hi fi's.

However, once you get your mits on a piece of gear and you're changing parameters on the fly with your hands, you'll be hooked. I'm not talking about a midi controller either, it's not quite the same (unless you're using it for keys with a module). Hardware synths and effects, cheap or otherwise, are just more fun. I still do a lot in the computer, but I have more fun with my hands on the controls.
xteck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xteck »

thank you hades ...

i know a boy who realease with yahama hs50 and sub .. i've readed about a famous house guy who release with a pair of old alesis ...

i'm still learning now and i think i can go good for other 2/3 year with an audiobox, 8 cone monitors and some room treatment ( nothing to much expensive)

thanks to all
notelba
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

software is a very important part of my set up and i couldn't do the things i do without software. but i use it more for recording, editing, arranging, mixing and effects. when it comes to synths and drum machines it's all hardware. soft synths don't inspire me and i end up getting bored. it's nice to look at something else for a while. i only use software for my electric piano, organ and more classic instruments but if i had the money and the space i would have the real thing.
xteck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xteck »

xteck wrote:thank you hades ...

i know a boy who realease with yahama hs50 and sub .. i've readed about a famous house guy who release with a pair of old alesis ...

i'm still learning now and i think i can go good for other 2/3 year with an audiobox, 8 cone monitors and some room treatment ( nothing to much expensive)

thanks to all
(oh i've got a midi controller , a midikeybord and a good pair of headphone :!: )
notelba
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Hades wrote: you might wanna skip the sub.
I'm not sure why people are so keen on getting subs.
if you get a good pair of monitors, you shouldn't need a sub in my opinion.
the reason i mentioned a sub was because the monitors that xteck was talking about don't have very good bass response. i agree that if you have decent monitors you don't need a sub but with things like the adam A5's you will need a sub.
Hades wrote:most people don't listen to your stuff on a system that has a sub, so if you mix things down on a sub, it will probably sound like it's lacking some bass on normal systems that don't have a sub.
the same thing can be said about treble. why do you need all that detail in the top end when you can't hear it on a normal system.

i don't know about you but most of us around here make club music which is played on big bass heavy systems. you have a sub so you can get an idea of what it sounds like on a club system and you don't need to use it all the time. just a quick reference here and there.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote:
Hades wrote: nowadays there's still stuff software won't do, but you'd be a fool in my opinion to be a hardware-only guy.
well then that makes me a fool bro.

i dont feel like a fool.

i feel like i made the exact right choices for me all along the line (apart from when i first started out)

hardware works for me, i hate working on a screen. i need a knob or a slider for every job in my studio, so that i can just reach out in an instant and get what i want in realtime.

maybe its not what everyone wants, but for some people its the only way.

we arent fools, we just do things in a different way.

i do think that you can learn alot with just software and if you wish, go on to hardware later. what i was saying was if you do go on to hardware or want to start with it, do the research and get the good sh!t.

btw bro how long have you had your Andromeda ?
i thought it was the holy grail before i bought one, then after 3 years of frustration got rid of it, and it wasnt because i couldnt handle it. i totally understood it, but it was the most unintuitive, fiddly un-userfriendly synth ive ever had, and didnt sound all that hot either.
I should have known I overstated that :oops: :lol:
blame too much coffee in long nightshifts....

of course you're not a fool.
but you made a deliberate choice.
I presume you've well researched both options, and took what worked best for you...

what I mean is, sometimes I meet people that are still like "hardware sounds better", "you've got more control",...
but you can tell right away that they're repeating a line that they've picked up from one of the "cool" guys, they simply base themselves on some prejudice that they've picked up somewhere.
those people are just plain fools to me.
cause in my opinion, software beats hardware for sequencing and sampling. and there are softsynths out there that offer synthesis methods that are simply impossible to have in hardware, or are painstaking to program if you do find them.
(for example, I have a K5000 additive synth, fucking great thing, I'll never sell it, but you can have over 1500 parameters for one patch, and that's insane to do with just a small screen. if you take a softsynth like Alchemy, it offers you additive, granular, spectral, VA,... and is a LOT more easy to program)

but in my own opinion one should simply combine the best of both worlds to achieve the best results.
you know there are many producers that switched to software mostly over the years.
I actually bought a crumar a few years ago from one of the founders of the Kompakt label. Back then I hardly knew what minimal was, so the name didn't ring a bell yet, but the thing was jammed with insane bass patches. Unfortunately I sold it a few years later to get other gear.
I still kick myself sometimes for doing that, but well...
anyway, I asked the guy back then why he was selling, and he said "like many producers today, I'm switching to software"

anyway, it's a long discussion, and I don't want to get into it.
to each his own, honestly.
if hardware only works for you. great !
me, I had tons of hardware, then got quite some software, noticed what the benefits of both were for me personally, and now I'm back into buying the more expensive hardware stuff and controllers and using both.

and btw : I'm big on having a knob or slider for everything too, that's why I got an access programmer for my matrix, a macro control box for my K5000r, and a PG800 for my JX10 ;)