Elektron - OCTATRACK ?

- ask away
Minimal Samples
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimal Samples »

Rookas wrote:well first of all i would go for real analog stuff in this case , yes it takes time to boot up a computer and so on and so on, but if you're seriously doing something you will end up in a daw anyway:)
Quoted for Truth. Hardware studios are a pain in the arse, software FTW. I actually downsized my studio about 5 years ago because I had so much hardware, analog synths, hardware samplers, outboard FX, compressors etc that it was becoming a burden to turn everything on and get it all set up and ready to go.

Now I have a computer and software with a couple of controllers and I get far more real work done. I've kept a few of my old analog synths for sampling, but I only really turn them on when I just want to jam about for fun and then If I hit something nice sound wise I sample it. 95% of the time I work completely in the digital domain. I'll never ever go back.
http://minimalsamples.com - Submit 20 original minimal loops & samples and get the entire archive for free.

Techno & Minimal Techno News Blog
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

I'm the exact opposite of that. Used to make music with a computer but it's simply isn't fun (and I do it only for fun, not profit). I already look at the computer screen 10 hours a day, making music is a break from that. If music is your profession, of course it makes sense to produce it as fast and cheap as possible, but since I do it only for my own enjoyment those criteria don't matter.

Computers are nice for recording and editing audio though, I simply can't stand them as compositional tools, they suck the life out of me.

I know you can get the same sounds out of computers as you get from Elektron gear, but I'm not paying for the sounds, I'm paying for the user interface and the instrument-like nature of them. I pay for being able to make music without staring at a computer screen and operating a mouse+kb. If you LIKE those, then it's a different matter. I don't, so I pay for something I like.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

then f***Ing buy real isntruemnts not some box with elektron on it
its all about the rhythm
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Rookas wrote:then f***Ing buy real isntruemnts not some box with elektron on it
have you ever tried one? You seem very against that brand for some reason. I have been myself sold by how much of an instrument those boxes are. You very much need to learn how to play them if you want to have fun with them. Otherwise they're very much "just" sound design machines, and that's not really their strongest point imo.
Also what is a "real" instrument to you?
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

i work with both vintage analogs & digital´s and computer..i use computer for recording and sequencing and that´s about it..i have used vst synths some years ago but they are not for me..i get whole lot more done with hardware than with only just using computer..that´s just is my workflow and i can imagine it isnt the best for everybody but it is best way to get things done for me

just don´t get this computer vs hardware battle wich seems to go on and on and on and on and on..
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Opuswerk wrote:
Rookas wrote:then f***Ing buy real isntruemnts not some box with elektron on it
have you ever tried one? You seem very against that brand for some reason. I have been myself sold by how much of an instrument those boxes are. You very much need to learn how to play them if you want to have fun with them. Otherwise they're very much "just" sound design machines, and that's not really their strongest point imo.
Also what is a "real" instrument to you?
He's either working for Korg or he's some teenager who envies adult people who can afford to buy expensive toys.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

i have no korg gear :))) dont worry. im just saying that 1300 isnt the right price tag... how many analog gear can you buy:) even computer + analog gear with alot of control over the sounds.
its all about the rhythm
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

to me the octatrack is easily as good as an MPC1000. But maybe that's also no instrument...
Why would analog + controllers be better than an all in one unit ? Do you know of "any" analog sampler, apart from the Mellotron ?

@ Rookas:
You're throwing arguments around without really grounding them. However you seem to have a very strong opinion which i suppose is based on a lot of experience.... Would be interesting to see your view on the matter with a little bit more depth :)
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk