advice on doing a vinyl run

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

patrick bateman wrote:
Roual wrote:
i've worked in the industry for 12 years of which i spent nearly 4 years with MPO.

I'm not a massive fan of the company but their vinyl is of a particular high quality.

the smaller plants don't get anywhere near the three plants i mentioned for quality.

they've had problems since last year because a supplier of a chemical used for producing their metalwork went bust and the new chemical isn't as good

this has caused quite a few headaches, including mine.

when it comes to vinyl selecting a company that produces on quality should always be preferred to a cheaper option, hence why in my experience those three are the best
We used MPO from 2004 and then the first 5 releases for Tic Tac Toe, and for each and everyone of those release they made mistakes. Dropped the master on the floor so a new one had to be made, misprinted something on the sleeve, did a bad print of the b side and so on and so on.
Of course, this didn't cost us anything, it was their mistakes, but it costed us a lot of time, which was super annoying.
That was why we turned to someone else.
almost all the pressing plants ive used over the years have made mistakes, even the good ones, also printers make mistakes, jeez theres a lot of incompitence in the record industry,
my last release had to be cut three times, two lots of metalwork made because of mistakes, record sleeves from the printers arrived damaged in battered boxes, and i had to claim compensation, then just if that wasnt enough, the courier lost a whole box of 100 records out of the shipment on its way to Kompakt in germany,

the release was nearly 6 months late coming out
it made me decide to have a break for a year.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

steevio wrote:almost all the pressing plants ive used over the years have made mistakes, even the good ones, also printers make mistakes, jeez theres a lot of incompitence in the record industry,
my last release had to be cut three times, two lots of metalwork made because of mistakes, record sleeves from the printers arrived damaged in battered boxes, and i had to claim compensation, then just if that wasnt enough, the courier lost a whole box of 100 records out of the shipment on its way to Kompakt in germany,

I don't think we have seen/heard of any mistakes on any of the other releases at any of the other pressing plants we have used (on the other 25-30 releases we've had)...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

patrick bateman wrote:
I don't think we have seen/heard of any mistakes on any of the other releases at any of the other pressing plants we have used (on the other 25-30 releases we've had)...
either ive been un-lucky or youve been lucky :)
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I just cut out as many uncertainties and pick the records up myself in London and I ship everything with our own courier. Working in logistics/wholesale sure does have its advantages :)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:
steevio wrote:almost all the pressing plants ive used over the years have made mistakes, even the good ones, also printers make mistakes, jeez theres a lot of incompitence in the record industry,

A company we used once called Total Vinyl pressed the exact same track on either side of the record. There were plenty of other mistakes, but that's the one I will always remember.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Total Vinyl also messed up when we placed an order there. We ordered 300, only got 180. During pressing the metalwork had cracked or broke down or whatever, so they just figured "let's just throw it in a box and hope the belgian can't count".

Took them two months to come up with the rest. They are extremely cheap though.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

how much will the record label get back from a record sold?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

PsyTox wrote:I just cut out as many uncertainties and pick the records up myself in London and I ship everything with our own courier. Working in logistics/wholesale sure does have its advantages :)
believe me bro, i try to cut out all uncertainties myself, i pick the records up, i attend the cuts, i drive the laquers from the cut to the plant etc. etc.

but why UPS should loose a box of tunes is beyond me, and i had to wait nearly 4 months for the compensation.

i think anyone who hasnt had any problems at all with releasing vinyl records is a very lucky man. ive been running record labels since 1981, and hundreds of tunes have passed through me, and theres been alot of hassles and problems over the years, and ive used at least 10 different cutting rooms, and 6 different plants, 12 different distributors.