Monitors...

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

breaktwister wrote:Been reading this thread with interest as I have around 600pounds for monitors also. I'm currently using Alesis M1 Mk2 in a small room, I am looking at the BM5As but am concerned about the 50Hz rolloff, the Alesis are quoted at 38Hz. I'm making deep house and need to hear that low end. My room is too small to even think about a separate sub.

I'm also looking at the Mackie MR8, Fostex PM1 Mk2 and a lot of folks on another forum recommend the KRK 6s or 8s which come in well under budget at 300 and 400 pounds (pair).

Are most monitors in the #600 price range significantly better than the Alesis?
when i road tested the monitors i mentioned above, i was very dissappointed in the Alesis M1 s, i cant explain why. they just sounded poor next to the others. not sure if thats any help mate.
breaktwister
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by breaktwister »

Thought I would update this, I actually ended up getting the M-Audio Studiophile CX5s. I'd never heard about these monitors before but the sound was really crisp when demo'd, plus the price had been reduced from 250GBP each to 170GBP.

Mids are far clearer than the Alesis M1 and the bass truer and a lot less hyped.

Brillant monitors for under 350GBP meaning I could get a nice set of cans also (Beyerdynamic DT990 pro).
sologroove
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sologroove »

go for the genelecs mate..
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

steevio wrote:i use mackie HR824 s and i love them. i hear people say theyve got too much bottom end, but i find them absolutely neutral for my purposes.
i really need to hear the bass, and i work with bass notes down to D (37Hz) sometimes C (33 Hz).
I use exactly the same, love them just as much, although I can't always rely on the lower frequencies. It often booms in my room and it'll sound the way I want, but then I listen to the track on some standard soundsystem and it'll sound... well, not so deep.
Acoustics are quite a pickle in my room unfortunately, I'm right under the roof and so I have a well that's in a 45 degree angle. :? Not to mention the Mackies play extremely loud if provoced and I often make a common mistake to keep tunrning volume up and up and up while making tracks.... not good.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

a suggestion that might help. If you're on a budget but want the best monitors possible, maybe try just using 1 monitor until you can afford to get 2. Most dance music you're gonna be working mainly in mono anyways apart from a little bit to spread things out. I think good frequency representation is a high priority than stereo effects.

One of my monitors stopped working for no obvious reason and I can't afford to fix it yet, and it hasn't really bothered me working with just 1 monitor.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

oblioblioblio wrote:a suggestion that might help. If you're on a budget but want the best monitors possible, maybe try just using 1 monitor until you can afford to get 2. Most dance music you're gonna be working mainly in mono anyways apart from a little bit to spread things out. I think good frequency representation is a high priority than stereo effects.

One of my monitors stopped working for no obvious reason and I can't afford to fix it yet, and it hasn't really bothered me working with just 1 monitor.
Mmm, this is asking for trouble if you ask me. If you do this, make sure you have a pair of aux speakers with which you can check stereo stuff, headphones are notoriously bad for this. But then, if your aux speakers are really sh!t, then you're not much better off.

Save up!
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

So I have now saved up the cash for the bm6a's but I can't find them anywhere now. What's the situation with the Mk2's? Anyone have them?
squonqdm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by squonqdm »

https://www.kmraudio.com/dynaudio-bm6a-mkii-pair.html

if i were in ur situation BLM i'd cruise over to KMR in London and audition the other rated speaker brands in the price range...

(EG Adam/Focal/PMC/ATC/Quested/Digidesign/Klein and Hummel/Geithan - dont think they do Quested. )

these are the ones i'd like to hear for my next monitor upgrade as it stands,

i got some dynaudio bm15a, they're quite nice. and before that had some BM5 passives......

at the time they were the best thing i could get and got the BM15a 2nd hand..

if ur about in London could maybe come have a listen with ya.. ?