ableton compressor (sidechain)

- ask away
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

I really do not understand your problem.
Live compressor is so versatile. Did you try the 3 modes (FF1, 2, FB) extensively?
For me the release often works better at around 40ms instead of super short.
(With lookahead turned OFF)

Anyway....try the Stillwell Rocket. (inspired by the Urei 1176) It's capable of sidechaining and extremely fast.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

+1 to what miro said... i really enjoy a varied range of settings for sidechain with the ableton compressor. Just takes a moment of going through everything to get the right timing.

Also how much gain reduction are you doing? this makes a huge difference in quality in the different modes.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: ableton compressor (sidechain)

Post by kristofason »

[quote="regler"]
When I use cubase own compressor with sidechain I have the feeling to nail the best envelope for the groove more often.

quote]

Yo, I was wondering what settings you use on the compressor usually in cubase 5,??? I use it often and get it going but I always get the feeling Ive kind of fluked it to some degree and tend to go by the meter bouncing just as much as my ears....
cheers
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

jobbanaught wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:The difference between FF and FB is that with FF, the control signal (ie the gain reduction) is calculated by processing the input, whereas with FB, it's calculated by analyzing the output. FB tends to be more program-dependent, which is why sometimes it sounds more musical, but FF can sometimes sound tighter and more controlled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Compr ... Design.gif

To me, FF1 seems a bit more extreme than FF2 -- generally you get more gain reduction for the same threshold and ratio. I'm assuming it's something to do with how the envelope is calculated, but since they're both feedforward it's hard to say what they're doing differently....

Wanted to know for a long time, thanks for the info :idea:
just fyi this information has been in the manual since they had the compressor plugin ;)

from what i remember using it, i always disabled lookahead when sidechaining for the best result. manually delaying the sidechain input can work well

i prefer to do it the old school way where the you just filter the original signal. i think some of the fancy new compressor vsts do it this way
Jovan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jovan »

When i use ableton i always use stock compressor, Sidechain is so simple in ableton, my favorite preset is kick reducer or something like that and you must use filter its a must. Than choose the low pass its 1 in second row, and than play with the Q... The results are amazing, it can give you more than attack and release... Try it out, than just play with treshold. I find that compressor one of the simplest with quick results :)
http://www.myspace.com/jovankoo Listen to it my music is RAW-er than yor Pron
Passakaglia
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

...talking big!

Post by Passakaglia »

all right ........like the conversation .......cause is what i eat all day .......but , without offense , you guys all talk big words and none of you seems like to have understand the core of side chain compression .

That doesn't make me a geek either but i am sure i can add something .

First of all , i do use logic 9 and i do make " FIlter " side chain compression .
that's because .......yes we are suppose to use words like : ducking and punchy .......but the true is that :in sidechain compressor mode ........the compressor you are using behave differently .......
The problem here , in discussion, is :why it take so long to tweak an attack or release .??

Because you expect from these two knobs to behave like always have done !

that is the first mistake

Attack (in side chain mode) is the balance (signal symmetry perception) between the signal input and signal which take (follow /chained ) the input so in this case ........short attacks result in : ......a tight compression between the two : they almost loose the symmetry , been totally squashed ........and release of course is how that signal react in dynamic.............faster/ slower reaction after the input signal is gone ........and of course its precise balance create that complicity that we could call "groove".
The threshold , i guess this is easy , is in relation to the chained signal .....

Now How about filtering (positive or negative) certain amount of frequency??that we could use 4
: a better clapping feeling : (drum /snare ........(around 900/ 2000 Khz) depending which filter u use ..........)....
Ducking a certain amount of frequency ............kick to snare .........kick/ hihat /snare / bass line ??-......all together
U name it .......just get you hands on .......and side chain every thing but mostly bend the rules .....is not just about snare /bass line or hihat kick ..........is about a chain of certain filtered amount of frequency ......that are talking to each other .......
Please ........i did want to respond to this issue just because from my perspective i see it in this way and i have prove it also with my personal research ................still researching though .............so any new discovery could be much appreciated ..........i am open !
i hope this will help in you personal research !
cheers
booPhases

p.s. support music industry !
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

errr..... what??
swarlied
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by swarlied »

@passa
no offense man, but people where talking about simple sidechain-ducking (without filters) which can be a bit painfull with the ableton compressor, because it got totally crazy algorythms. try it out and be thankfull that you use logic.

@ all
I use two solutions for this:
- stacking sidechain-compressors with the same/different settings. yes its crazy but it works when you chain 2 of them sometimes better as you double the values of just one compressor.

- not using sidechain anymore or realy seldom due to better mixing in general or due to good use of micro-automation within the clips! (and this is where ableton is king)