mystify 909 jacking groove

- ask away
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

s.k. wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyFCy0DffZc

here it is explained very well why a truely analogue drum machine sounds so unique - each hit is different! thats a Linn LM-1 but i guess it would be the same with a 909, never had one.
I don't get it...the LM-1 was a digital drum machine (in fact it was the first drum machine to use digital samples).
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote: I would like to get a proper drum machine though at some point. For the first time in my music making life I feel like I need to move onto hardware. I have been making music for the last 10 years on software and its starting to take its tolll on me. It' s so much more fun playing with real life knobs.
it's in our dna.

digital works for some people though i think.

i much prefer the analogue way of working. You work with the often unpredicatble personality of a machine rather than specifying parameters that it will calculate for you.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Phurniture wrote:
I don't get it...the LM-1 was a digital drum machine (in fact it was the first drum machine to use digital samples).
the video is talking about the way the samples are triggered.

on the LM1 it uses a voltage controlled clock (several in fact) to loop the sample.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

oblioblioblio wrote:
Phurniture wrote:
the video is talking about the way the samples are triggered.

on the LM1 it uses a voltage controlled clock (several in fact) to loop the sample.
Ahh...I really should have watched the video first.

I used to own a LinnDrum (LM-2?). What a fantastic machine. It's true, although samples on their own sound very close, after programming a beat it just doesn't have the same feel. I miss that beast.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

The D16 machine's are great emulators so surely one could achieve similar results.
I've noticed some of those old house tracks are squashed to high heaven with compression and would presume this helped in the jacking process.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

eggnchips wrote:The D16 machine's are great emulators so surely one could achieve similar results.
I've noticed some of those old house tracks are squashed to high heaven with compression and would presume this helped in the jacking process.
Compression would have no effect on the rhythmic behaviour of the gear mentioned. You could compress to high heaven but the groove remains unaffected in terms of its timing. This is to do with circuitry and presumably, other analog anomolies, I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure it has absolutely nothing to do with dynamics processing.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
eggnchips wrote:The D16 machine's are great emulators so surely one could achieve similar results.
Compression would have no effect on the rhythmic behaviour of the gear mentioned. You could compress to high heaven but the groove remains unaffected in terms of its timing. This is to do with circuitry and presumably, other analog anomolies, I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure it has absolutely nothing to do with dynamics processing.
you're right, but i wouldnt say that dynamics processing doesnt affect the groove, it definitely does, anything which affects the attack and decay is going to change the groove, its one of the reasons i hardly ever use compression on a mix,
actually jacking was a dance style, not really a production technique.
it just so happens the 909 was the drum machine of choice at the time.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

new tracks are generally a lot more compressed.

i wasn't that impressed with the D16 909 and 808. they seem a bit lifeless.