who are your influences?

- ask away
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

dunno mate, can be anyones own interpretation. but generally speaking deep house i associate with the likes of mike huckaby, rick wade etc. most stuff i hear on beatport deep house page i wouldnt call it deep house, but thats just my opinion and some people would argue that which is cool.

your onto something with council house mate! u should check some of the
detached house thats knocking around! :lol:
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Lol, whore house. Its just a matter of time!

Anyway, so would you say deep house usally has ep's of some sort? Thats an association id probably think of.
thefunnel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thefunnel »

I guess it depends on what we call an influence, and what we are influencing. It's always a loaded question, really.

Initially, my general "pusher" artists in electronic music that put me on this general path in the late '90s would be artists like NIN, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Meat Beat Manifesto, Front 242, Ministry, Infected Mushroom (I'm hesitant to mention those slags now), Prodigy, Psychic TV, etc. I also enjoyed some of the cheesier side of things, more mainstream house/downtempo, but many of the names escape me at the moment as they weren't truly, deeply influenced...more enjoyable due to freshness (well, fresh to me at least). I guess you could say Daft Punk, Bad Boy Bill, Azzido Da Bass, Dzhian and Khamien, etc.

As I picked up DJing in the early 2000s, I naturally became more involved in different sounds, more underground stuff. I found out about artists like Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Rob Hood, Surgeon, Steve Bug, Drexciya, Miss Kittin & The Hacker, Josh Wink, Adam Beyer, DJ Sneak, Christian Smith, Trevor Rockcliffe, Mr. G...

So, I kinda became infatuated with this crossover of techno and house. I loved techno...of any sort, minimal to the loopy hard stuff...and I really loved house, too. Funky, jazzy, deep, jackin'...just fun music. So I referred to myself as a "Tech-house" DJ, not necessarily because I listened to only music that fit into this narrow "sound" of "tech-house" but because I played everything all over the spectrum of the two broader genres of techno and house.

As the years progressed, and my tastes became more defined, more "refined"...I guess pickier you could say (although I have a love for really most electronic music, as long as it's quality...but I guess I'm more about cerebral and deep stuff in a way...not big on the "easy" hooks and big melodies)..I began producing.

These days, I'm still firmly in "tech-house" area, although I rarely find myself digging through the "tech-house" genres on Beatport, etc...don't find them to suit my tastes, often. The last couple years, big influences for me production-wise and for DJing have been (or continued to be) Mr. G, Levon Vincent, Ben Klock, Claro Intelecto, Rob Hood, Jeff Mills, James Ruskin, DVS1, Audion, Carl Craig, DBX, DJ Hyperactive, Heiko Laux, Kris Wadsworth, John Tejada, Losoul, Kyle Geiger, Marcel Dettmann, Soulphiction, Nina Kraviz, Prosumer, Speedy J, Shed, Steve Rachmad, Mike Dehnert...to name a few. This dubbed-out house, tech-house and techno sound. Juicy basslines, classic analog percussion, jacking "vibe" at times, spacey pads, tempos anywhere from 115-135. It's pretty awesome to hear so much of "my" sound bubble up to the surface lately. My last trip to Detroit in 2010 was awesome for a lot of reasons, but it was really amazing to hear some of my favorite big DJs dropping tracks that I picked up in my early years of spinning, from the late '90s to early 2000s, before the digital "klickity klack" m_nus minimal took over techno. So it's all come full circle in a way, and all sorts of producers are blowing up that fit this sound, and deservingly so.

So yeah, it's been a crazy road for me, but I'm very comfortable with what I do, and what my influences are. I feel like I haven't just latched on to trends, and generally stuck with what I love, and it's beginning to pay off. But yes, I still enjoy the occasional guilty pleasure of some big, grungy electro house from Proxy or the like at times (-)
satavarma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by satavarma »

AK wrote:Bossa nova anyone?
I love bossa nova, both the cheesy stuff and the truly beautiful songs. Walter Wanderley, Astrud & Joao Gilberto, Sergio Mendes are some of my favourite artists of this sound.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I think single records have had an impact on me, fell in love with, lfo by lfo as soon as i heard it and always gets me in a production mood even now.
pnd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pnd »

burzum -> autechre -> monolake -> basic channel -> \infty
widdly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by widdly »

Some of the chords they use in bossa nova are pretty cool. The progressions and substitutions are often pretty far out but they come off as really chilled and smooth.

I not ashamed to admit that I'm a big fan of Mahavishnu Orchestra. In between the self indulgent epic solos and cheesy jan hammer moog lines there are some awesome chilled out bits, not to mention the crazy chord progressions and time signatures. Some of it is so way out in terms of time signature and harmony but you don't really notice because it grooves so nicely.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

I like DJ Rush's music from the mid-late nineties, especially the Force Inc and Pro-Jex releases.

Some trax:

"Doodlin"
"Industrial"
"Electric Indigo"
"The Gift"
"Pop Lock"