mono synths...

- ask away
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

i started looking at a mfb microzwerg, two oscillators and two filters, semi-modular

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikel ... werge.html

demo-vids
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/09 ... beach.html

anyone got any comments about this as a first piece of hardware?
thefunnel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thefunnel »

steevio wrote:
thefunnel wrote:for the price of $1300, it's not much more than a 101, and IMO far more diverse.
thing is in the UK the XS is more than twice the price of an SH101, (£1100) so its not a fair comparison,
other than that i would agree with you, diversity and semi-modular is cool,

but if you talking about £1100 synths, we are in a different league, a few more hundred quid and you've got a Voyager RME, or even quite a nice little modular set-up.
Fair enough. SH-101s are ridiculous in the US right now. I refuse to buy one. 2-3 years ago they were $400-600. I see them frequently in the $800-1000 range on ebay now...and those are getting sold. Sometimes you can find a cheaper one, but I don't really look very hard anymore since I got my XS.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

i think theres 2 sh-101's going on sos, £375 and another £400 or around that, i think thats pretty well priced for a classic synth, ebay they go for a lot more.

i'd like to know more about these soviet synths i keep seeing on ebay, they seem well priced, never heard of em before? can anyone shed any light on them?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

analogue solutions do some semi modulars which have a soviet influence. might just be the names and paint job though. the red square sounds really good! not sure about the others.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

In short, Waldorf Pulse. Get one off ebay and be prepared to annoy your neighbours :D
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

oblioblioblio wrote:my mate has one of them.

nice analogue filter. but oscillators don't sound that much different to software.

interface seemed weird.

i wouldn't.
+1 on the basstation... i don't know whats with that thing?!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

I have the bass station rack and im not suprise it goes for so little money. i got (and keep) mine just for the midi to cv.
the raw sound and the filter doesnt come close to the sh-101.
mopho feels more like a dedicated midi controller for softsynth than an actual synth.

btw, if sh-101 goes for that price, it might be good to look for an sh-2 which is basiclly the same but with 2oscs.
you can wait till mono lancet will show up on ebay or look for dark energy.
imo any of these will do better job than the mopho or bsr.

i spent a lot of money to understand that cheaper cost more.
from all the gear i had (not that i had that much) the ones i was frequently used and got satisfying result were voltage controlled. it just get the job so fast and sound fantastic. its so easy you just dont care about presets (might be different for those who perform live).
so i came to the conclusion that ive been reading about all by my self.
its better to wait and save up and get one piece of gear that you will be satisfied with than 2 or 3 pieces of crap.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

The super bass station has advantages over the original and rack, theres an added sub osc, a noise gen and separate adsr. I would never say its in sh101 class, just saying its well worth the money. Although i do happen to like mine and couldnt care less what anybody else thinks.

Yeah the price of an sh101 has rocketed recently, you could also get a moog prodigy or pro-1 for the money. Never really looked at those sh-2's, are they rare?