How some crappy labels (owners) think?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@BLM
ok bro it got a bit disjointed and confused there.

could you edit your post, as it looks as though you're quoting me there bro in the first bit.

i wouldnt argue against a label using a mastering engineer, thats not at all where i'm coming from.

all i'm saying is that my experience of working with artists in the various labels i ran in the 1990s was that they were totally professional, and always provided me with superbly finished tracks that only required basic mastering for record cuts. they were dedicated real musicians that had worked hard learning all aspects of production, quite often waiting 5 years or more before allowing their productions to be heard.
consequnetly they instilled full confidence that i should work with these guys.

i'm trying to say that it is even easier now to achieve this, agreed ; slapping a Waves compressor on a track is a hinderance in many cases, but thats not what i'm advising. i'm saying do some research, concentrate on getting good mixes that require little or no mastering, look into topend mastering software, its not alchemy, its a logical process like all the other aspects of production, why ignore it.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah I agree totally, but now we have a new breed of dj/producers who are hungry for gigs and they don't give a sh!t about learning. all they want do is knock out fodder so they get gigs. im at the stage now where I have kind of given up a little bit, because I have just got so fed up with all the fodder out there. I suppose the real music will remain underground and the fodder will continue to sell in bucket loads.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

some of these labels do even more damage than they know. like to the point where it makes an entire city that used to be known for (dance) music become not taken seriously anymore
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

some of these labels do even more damage than they know. like to the point where it makes an entire city that used to be known for (dance) music become not taken seriously anymore in the worldwide eye.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

examples please.
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

Tanner Ross once told me the reason people send him tracks to master is not really to fix problems in the mix (it should be perfect with what the artist has available) its more the fact that he runs everything through expensive gear that most people don't have available in their home studio.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

loictambay wrote:Tanner Ross once told me the reason people send him tracks to master is not really to fix problems in the mix (it should be perfect with what the artist has available) its more the fact that he runs everything through expensive gear that most people don't have available in their home studio.
this used to be the case a few years ago, but more and more mastering engineers are using highend software, and their hardware is standing idle in their studios.
the last few records i had cut, (at different studios) i had to insist on the engineer using his tube processors, because they preferred to do it digitally.

the guy who actually invented EQ as we know it, George Massenburg, and a staple in every top mastering studio for many years, now makes mastering plugins that are supposed to be indistinguishable from hardware.
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

steevio wrote:

the guy who actually invented EQ as we know it, George Massenburg, and a staple in every top mastering studio for many years, now makes mastering plugins that are supposed to be indistinguishable from hardware.
that's really sad, it seems like engineers are shooting themselves in the foot doing this, as many people will have the plugins available (most likely pirated) and therefor will not need an engineer anymore. I guess you're still paying for the years of experience they can offer, but I know if I were to dish out money on mastering, I'd want me music run through exotic gear I couldn't possibly dream of owning myself.