all hardware setup

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:
this is a critical factor, there is an unbelievable wave of new designs almost every week, its outstripping the rate of new software designs, and more importantly us modularheads are actually helping design the very things we want. we are in constant dialog with the designers who are small independant cottage industries doing it for the love.
The thing for me is having designers who understand.

They are passionate music listeners, they understand the needs and ideas of music making. They are on that same far out, are my ideas good or sh!t? level that a musician has to go thru. They will spend months tweaking something till it's just right, and spend a lifetime obssessively learning about their craft.

These guys are not trying to understand a market, they are the same as us. This is unique. I have not experienced this before. In many ways people don't hear about it becuase the manufacturers are too modest, and believe in themselves enough to be happy keeping on, that you're never gonna hear an advert for what you can do with their product, and how great it is.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

TechnoMusic wrote:It seems like mostly modular synthesis is for technicians and not musicians. Lol I might have a T-Shirt of that made. :)
that just betrays your total lack of knowledge on the subject.

make two of those t-shirts i'll wear one !

tbh i'm totally happy that theres a total ignorance of the power of modular synthesis, it means that those of us making music that way are doing something pretty unique.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: all hardware setup

Post by oblioblioblio »

TechnoMusic wrote: Hardware pureists are fcking dinosaurs as far as Im concerned.
I was like that once. I got some good hardware and i don't feel that way anymore.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

For me my sound hasnt improved since I moved to hardware, but the way I make music has and this is what I wanted. I'm not fussed what other people make music on, if it works for you then thats fantastic and that is what its all about.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote: I'm not fussed what other people make music on, if it works for you then thats fantastic and that is what its all about.
exactly, we need diversity.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

TechnoMusic wrote:For every 100 experimental bloops video on you tube there will be 1 or 2 passable actual music with a modular video.

Without any personal feelings about modular this is just true. I was curious about modular for a while, but this somehow put me off. I found almost no display of interesting music made with modulars on the web (the bleepy stuff is not music to me, any noob could make that patching cables randomly). Maybe most people are overwhelmed with the possibilities of modular and end up just bleeping around all day??? Wheres the music?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

jobbanaught wrote:
TechnoMusic wrote:For every 100 experimental bloops video on you tube there will be 1 or 2 passable actual music with a modular video.

Without any personal feelings about modular this is just true. I was curious about modular for a while, but this somehow put me off. I found almost no display of interesting music made with modulars on the web (the bleepy stuff is not music to me, any noob could make that patching cables randomly). Maybe most people are overwhelmed with the possibilities of modular and end up just bleeping around all day??? Wheres the music?
yes but theres just as much sh!t music being made on computers, i doubt whether the percentage of what you would call good music being made by any method is much different.

you ask where's the music ? are you really looking ?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

jobbanaught wrote: Wheres the music?
I don't usually judge music based on searching for videos of people using types on instruments on youtube.

Like, if you search for tb303, you don't get Phuture.

If you search for a piano you're not gonna get some beautiful haunting symphony. You're just gonna get some human using a machine. They could just be playing for fun. They could have a different idea of what music is to them.

All the best music made with modular is on record or in disks. (but there is some beautiful stuff on youtube)