Do you ever think about unlearning?

- ask away
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Great example. It was only by breaking that "all-time golden rule" that I stumbled across the Tresor back catalogue.

Deliberate exaggeration, but you get my point.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

but i dont think learning and rules are the same thing.

learning for me is discovering things for myself, ive never had a rule one way or the other about kicks (again just using it as an example) ive put reverb on a kick when it sounded right or not as the case maybe, in fact ive never had any rules whatsoever about anything to do with making music.

learning for me isnt about reading what others have said is right or wrong, its purely about experimentation for me, and every single day i discover loads of stuff i didnt know about music, it amazes me how little i know even after years of doing it.

i think we each learn what we need to learn to keep us on our path.

un-learning isnt an option for me, only replacing what has been made redundant by a better technique, and forging new neural pathways.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Do you ever think about unlearning?

Post by coldfuture »

eggnchips wrote:Hey guys,
Do you ever listen to your old productions like I do and admire how wreckless, carefree you were?
My solution to that is simply to be reckless and carefree now. I just live jam my tracks and try to think as little as possible... feel my way through composing the parts and designing the sounds. Then I just practice playing the track and getting acquainted with its natural flow. After that I try to record it in one take, at its natural seeming duration.

I try to edit as little as possible, or allow as little self-criticism as possible enter my head when working on stuff. I only care to be true and transparent to my emotions or imaginations in my music. Very little else means anything to me anymore.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

coldfuture wrote:
Do you ever listen to your old productions like I do and admire how wreckless, carefree you were?
My solution to that is simply to be reckless and carefree now. I just live jam my tracks and try to think as little as possible... feel my way through composing the parts and designing the sounds. Then I just practice playing the track and getting acquainted with its natural flow. After that I try to record it in one take, at its natural seeming duration.

I try to edit as little as possible, or allow as little self-criticism as possible enter my head when working on stuff. I only care to be true and transparent to my emotions or imaginations in my music. Very little else means anything to me anymore.
+1
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Dusk wrote:
AK wrote:
Take this analogy: somebody is showing a talent for fine art and produces a series of works which one could say contains, 'raw talent'. A few years down the line, they have discovered a fair few techniques in painting, using different media etc etc. Now that raw talent hasnt gone anywhere but through the gained knowledge of technique and methods of application, that artist is now in a much better position to mould an inspiring idea into the finished article.
That's how it should work in theory.

In practice knowing "how things should be done" can directly impede creativity. Proven techniques can easily become a blueprint or formula. Its too easy to reuse them for predictable results.
But all that implies is laziness. The 'barrier' is simply imaginary, the 'trick' (if there is such a thing) is just to be open minded and adaptable in the way you approach things. Going through tried and tested comfort zone methods of music making every time you write, would kill anyones potential. So why would they do it? Nobody is forced to stick with anything, the boundaries are entirely self created.

This is why I just dont agree that theres any correlation. Its entirely routine and a self imposed concept. Experience and knowledge cant be blamed for a lack of creativity, only the individual as what they do is ultimately up to them, nothing or nobody else is even in the equation.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:but i dont think learning and rules are the same thing.

learning for me is discovering things for myself, ive never had a rule one way or the other about kicks (again just using it as an example) ive put reverb on a kick when it sounded right or not as the case maybe, in fact ive never had any rules whatsoever about anything to do with making music.

learning for me isnt about reading what others have said is right or wrong, its purely about experimentation for me, and every single day i discover loads of stuff i didnt know about music, it amazes me how little i know even after years of doing it.

i think we each learn what we need to learn to keep us on our path.

un-learning isnt an option for me, only replacing what has been made redundant by a better technique, and forging new neural pathways.
This is kinda how I see it, Im not interested in learning for learnings sake, what I learn and experiment with are things that are applicable to what I find inspiring to my musical ideas and ultimately, that provides the creative spring board I need. So for me, the aquisition of knowledge IS the spark of creativity at times because I get into brain overload and have branches of tangents from the main theme that I wish to try out.

If we are talking pure technique, I dont think I have ever really followed a routine, I never use presets (synth or efx) never been one to cut corners with basic DAW templates and never approached any 2 pieces of music in the same way. Sure I got tired of linear software sequencing, hence me doing something about it. I can only speak for myself but this sort of 'rest on your laurels' complacency is self inflicted. Nobody can sit there and say, 'well ive learnt too much and now im no longer creative'. Thats rubbish, they may as well say, 'i can no longer think for myself'.

Change your set up, change your sequencing method, swap some gear etc etc. Theres so many ways to keep things fresh and exciting. Theres been threads on here that Ive read just a few paragraphs of and had enough brainstorming to get a migraine.

This thread almost sounds like a writers block thread, at least thats the way Im seeing it. Theres been enough interesting threads on here in the last 12 months to keep me in ideas until god knows when. Why the lack of enthusiasm? C'mon, its a great time to be making music.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

actually yes. but it took me alot longer to make tracks/loops/samples in my early days.

i've spent a few years trying to reduce and edit things as much as possible. i feel like i have that wreckless nature back, i'll try things especially if they don't work for a track. keep things simple, minimalist philosophy, focused. i find myself producing more often as a result. i don't get sick of producing as quickly any more because of faster computers too (makes a huge difference for me).
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

Interesting topic...

In my opinion, it's not really about the improving technique. This can only help you to create. If you're a jazz organist, the more you play, the better you can do. I don't think there is any difference with electronic instruments/computers...

I've realised, after a few years of djing and producing music, that what really changed was my approach, the music I listen to... As someone said, producing music makes you realise how lame some tracks can be, how cool can a basic track be, how sh!t can a complex track be... I ended up thinking there was a bound between the way I'd produce and the music I listen to.

When I started producing, I had a quite poor musical culture, and I was not thinking too much. But today, knowing about a lot of stuff makes me think too much.

"Oh, that chord sounds way too basic channel", "oh that drum pattern sounds way too chicago house", the problem being I aways find something to compare myself to, something probably better, and I forget about the project I'm working on.

Intellectualisation of the electronic music world is, in my opinion, the reason why I can't produce a track and be totally satisfied, why we hear a lot of crap in nightclubs, and much much more problems.

Sometimes I think I'd rather do a bit unoriginal stuff, but with time, allow myself to find my own blend of influences, and end up with a naturally original sound, instead of spending hours of "what has never been heard?" in front of my monitors.