"Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

- ask away
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

Ciaran_ wrote:
The internet is a great resource.. you can potentially dig further than in any one record shop..
Yes, but the fun of digging in a record shop back in the day is the potential friendships you make with others. Two of my best friends I met crate diggin in shops. That wouldn't occur through a Beatport search...
Plus the conversations and suggestions you have at the shop is part of the fun, esp if the staff has a similar interst as you. If you were a regular, the stuff would have a stack of vinyl waiting for you as you walked in. Some search engines have "Other users who bought this also bought..." which is helpful, but not as personal... the REAL human interaction is a lost "art" form I suppose....
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

dubgil2 wrote:
Ciaran_ wrote:
The internet is a great resource.. you can potentially dig further than in any one record shop..
Yes, but the fun of digging in a record shop back in the day is the potential friendships you make with others. Two of my best friends I met crate diggin in shops. That wouldn't occur through a Beatport search...
Plus the conversations and suggestions you have at the shop is part of the fun, esp if the staff has a similar interst as you. If you were a regular, the stuff would have a stack of vinyl waiting for you as you walked in. Some search engines have "Other users who bought this also bought..." which is helpful, but not as personal... the REAL human interaction is a lost "art" form I suppose....
Oh yeah for sure, I totally appreciate the human interaction part of searching for new records.. I sit on facebook constantly sending links between me and my mates haha, if only there was a record shop in town!
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

XIII NRV wrote:Probably but it's a lot better to do it live than to stay in front of a screen...you have good sides and bad sides...like always
Yesterday I spent half a day arching over record stalls and crates and a turntable in a shop in Stockholm and then carrying the records around town. My shoulders hurt a lot :)
If I spend the day in discogs my back starts to hurt. Go figure!
Sweet pain nevertheless :)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

I am finding it hard to get enthused about digital 'record' shopping. I've gone to juno for some wax instead.

60 a month for me isnt bad plus I have Phonica 30mins down the road. I appreciate for other people this isnt as easy.

Dont get me wrong there are some great tunes available digitally, but as we all know its harder to narrow down because of all the releases.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

back catalogue vinyl sales from my label have just increased recently, it went a bit dead for a couple of years, it didnt help that we put the label on hold for 3 years, but there's no real explanation for this recent rise other than people are buying more records again.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

I wonder if eventual sharp-rising petrol prices would affect vinyl manufacturers' profits substantially...
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

thom wrote:I wonder if eventual sharp-rising petrol prices would affect vinyl manufacturers' profits substantially...
This has me most concerned about the vinyl being #1. ultimately i'm not sure if its sustainable for longer than our generation.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

wouldn't that be the same for all plastic goods?