Minimal Techno Sample Pack

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

michaellpenman wrote:
tone-def wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:I can only think of a handfull of pieces of outstanding music that used samples, and each of them were crate diggers pulling little bits from other tracks to fit into their own vision.... Ultramarine sampling little folk riffs, Wolfgang Voigt building his Gas project from reworking classical music (and adding a whole massive section of his own work).
are you serious? only a handfull?

i prefer music that uses samples to music that is 100% synth. you just have to look at my record collection.

a handfull yeah right lol

in the end it is the final product. How you get there shoudlnt matter within reason.
Yep. I use a mixture of samples and synths, and there is honestly no way you could tell what is a sample and what is not. You can get just as creative with sampling as you can do with synthesis. Using synths doesnt make you better then people who use samples. if i sample a pre made kick from one of these packs does it mean i am not as serious as to those who use a modular system? Someone put up some Mbase samples which i used for ages, it was them samples that made me go out and buy the real thing.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:Yep. I use a mixture of samples and synths, and there is honestly no way you could tell what is a sample and what is not. You can get just as creative with sampling as you can do with synthesis. Using synths doesnt make you better then people who use samples. if i sample a pre made kick from one of these packs does it mean i am not as serious as to those who use a modular system? Someone put up some Mbase samples which i used for ages, it was them samples that made me go out and buy the real thing.
man this isn't about me being better than anyone cos I use a modular. I hope I don't come across as an elitist person.

Some of my best friends make heavy use of samples, and some of my favourite records are made with samples.

But for me there is an obvious difference between being spoon fed and being a producer. I guess it's up to musician whether they just scroll presets on a synth, or load in whole loops. Or if they try to find their own methods and techniques using these machines.
dr.rodrigobernales
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dr.rodrigobernales »

::BLM:: wrote:It does helps creativity for newbies though. It helps them learn how to construct pieces of music. By having all the samples ready, they can focus on putting something together rather then just twiddling with synths endlessly for hours and not actually making music.
Agree 100% Fiddling with stuff trying to make your own sounds is great, but... you'll lose the initial inspiration. Imagine if Chopin had an awesome melody in his head, and instead of getting down to practising on the piano and playing the notes, he actually had to build a piano first, cutting the trees and so on, hammering etc etc, and tune it and engineer it to "find his sound"... He'd would probably have made a bunch of great tracks anyway, but there'd be less of them. He would have, in my opinion wasted his time building pianos instead of composing.

I guess, it's all about where your priorities lie. Where do you value allocating your time the most? Classical composers are not known for how many nice pianos they built. Same goes for jazz musicians, rock, pop etc etc. They used the same old tools (same old sample, in our case), and they will outlive us all.

This post has gone on too long, sorry for that. The samples sound very nice btw, good job.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

there are countless musicians with custom designed instruments. the level of intimacy you develop when you use customized/personalized equipment will only aid you once you are capable at utilizing it. i completely disagree that tweaking a synth will hinder the creative process. what about mozarts well tempered clavier? he sat and created his own 12 tone scale, which he then composed an entire book of studies using. the material he created would not exist without his initial tonal explorations.

oblio has a good point about spoon fed producers. he has found the splendour of exploration and creativity, so it is hard to imagine skipping those steps by using prerecorded samples from another person. i use samples all of the time, but i also use a huge number of effects and processing on them. in the end the sample is just another part of a digital modular process. there's no difference if i use an oscillator/sample/whatever, the end result is that i explore the possible permutations of my source audio.

look at the 109804938 remixes of plastikman's "ask yourself" that are floating around now. note that some of the remixes only use 1-2 elements provided from the remix stems, while other remixes utilize only elements from the stems (adding nothing unique from the remixer other than their mixing/editing skills).
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

dr.rodrigobernales wrote: Agree 100% Fiddling with stuff trying to make your own sounds is great, but... you'll lose the initial inspiration.

In electronic music the sounds are the inspiration.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Dusk wrote:
dr.rodrigobernales wrote: Agree 100% Fiddling with stuff trying to make your own sounds is great, but... you'll lose the initial inspiration.

In electronic music the sounds are the inspiration.
Which is why it doesn't matter what you use.