mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:
AK wrote:
Sequential circuits pro-one?
Moog prodigy?
Moog rogue?

Anyway, my post doesnt help in the sense of fixing anything but I was wondering if someone with a modular could potentially recreate the sound of the 101? I've seen passable 303's, minimoog type stuff but I wouldnt really know.
i think this guy has got a 101 filter in design stage for modular, i predict you'l be able to get some nice 101 reproductions in modular in the next year or two; theres virtually nothing that isnt being attempted in modular right now;

http://www.amsynths.co.uk/index.htm
I've heard that Cwejman filters offer a Roland-esque sound, and in fact goes way beyond it with feauture set (at a price, however).

The main problem is that the Roland filter is all on one chip, and clearly ROland did not publish their 'secret sauce' recipe anywhere.

I was listening to some youtube videos of sh101 and mc202 and it made me regret selling the 202... but then I wised up and remembered all the amazing designs I have access to, even if they don't have that particular Roland vibe.

I'm totally not selling my Wiard filters, or my Livewire frequensteiner anytime ever. I think it's good to support new designers as well.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

oblioblioblio wrote: ....... I think it's good to support new designers as well.
+1
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:nice one mark matey !

theyve even got the battery covers ! ive got one missing, and the other broken on my 101s
Happy to help! Now you can sell them as 'recently serviced' to buy more modules (ha ha, just joking).
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:I wouldn't pay £800 for a sh101, you could probably get a small modular for that.
Which I think would probably be more useful in the long run, and much cheaper to maintain.

Each to his own tho! ;)
yes agreed, it is getting a bit silly.

i paid £30 each for mine in the 1990s ---sorry guys
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

thats the point, im not trying to pay 800 for one. the most i would pay is *MAYBE* 600, after shipping, lol

i dunno. i feel i make pretty good basses with my prophet 08. so maybe i dont even really need this 101?..
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

oblioblioblio wrote:I've heard that Cwejman filters offer a Roland-esque sound, and in fact goes way beyond it with feauture set (at a price, however).
Oh, and another piece of info. Shippmann, designer of the Ebbe and Flut (aka ebb and flow), has made a new tiny piece of filter circuitry that is almost like a chip. It's one of the highest quality filters ever designed, and will be a touch pricey (not sure exactly how much), but expect this 'chip' to make it's way into some machines in the next year or so.

I think the sh101 has officially reached vintage prices now. I would agree that your money will go much further elsewhere.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

JayRP wrote:thats the point, im not trying to pay 800 for one. the most i would pay is *MAYBE* 600, after shipping, lol

i dunno. i feel i make pretty good basses with my prophet 08. so maybe i dont even really need this 101?..
the SH101 eats the Prophet 08 for breakfast in the bass zone.
could never get particularly nice basses out of my P 08.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

in some ways you've got to ignore the talk of prices. You can't really attach a price tag to what a machine means to YOU as a musician. You could pay vintage prices for an sh101, and use it in every tune you make, develop a deep relationship with it... know it inside out and always feel inspired by it.

in machine terms.. you can probably invest your money better elsewhere, but the sh101 is one of a kind for sure. And for vintage prices you will get a lot more possiblities with a 101 than a 303... 101 is definitely not a 1 trick poney.