interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

Post by Opuswerk »

I believe those metallic sounds can be easily achieved with a synth like tyrell. Using a synth allows for mor modulation and experimentation for such a sound.
Try playing around with a chord playing in Tyrell and using the bandpass filter instead of the typical lopass. With a bit of high resonance, a fast enveloppe and short notes it starts sounding very metallic. Btw this Tyrell synth is a beast. Since the beta came out, i've been using it in all my tracks. It's really become my goto vst synth. If i find time, i'll try posting a preset for it here.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
DeeperDub
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DeeperDub »

Opuswerk wrote:... i'll try posting a preset for it here....
thx in advance
techno isn't about the past, it's about the future -

if you can't agree about that, then you're house
DeeperDub
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DeeperDub »

::BLM:: wrote:...He used one of the Tal synths I'm sure...
he also used this little synth that quite nice:

http://robotplanet.dk/audio/tb4005/
techno isn't about the past, it's about the future -

if you can't agree about that, then you're house
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

cloutier wrote:more specifically...
do you think its a certain keyboard or synth? maybe a sampled sound heavily processed, like a glass bottle or something?
those are the kind of things i'm also trying to figure out on my learning curve quest for knowledge extravaganza 2011. :)
thanks for everything so far, guys! greatly appreciated!
I like your idea about the glass bottle thing. Many years ago I worked in a glass manufacturing plant for a few months because I couldn't find work in my industry plus one of my buddies worked there and put in the word for me so it was an easy job to get into. Terribly hard work by the way. I added up how much glass me and this other guy I worked with moved in a single night and it was around 140 000 lbs of glass over 10 hours. Anyways, I learned to really love (and hate) glass while I worked there, mostly because of the interesting light shows to be witnessed in the long winter months when the sun was low on the horizon and beams of light would hit the racks and create the most interesting patters of coloured light.

Hmm, getting off track. So I saw this video about a method to cut glass bottles cleanly with just a scorer and hot water. It requires a special contraption to facilitate the cutting though. If I ever get around to getting one of these cutters I want to experiment with creating long tubes of glass and recording sounds played in one end from the other, or perhaps using the tubes as some kind of instrument. I don't know if it would amount to anything interesting but it would be fun to try... or maybe experimenting with different shapes of glass bottles. I wonder what a bottle that was round and bulbous at the bottom would sound like. It would be nice to know someone who blows glass and could make you interesting glass shapes that might conduct sound in interesting ways.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

DeeperDub wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:...He used one of the Tal synths I'm sure...
he also used this little synth that quite nice:

http://robotplanet.dk/audio/tb4005/

That's the one I was trying to think of before. The OP might like to try that from he was saying.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

so i've been tooling around with spectrasonics trilian and some other vst's and coming up with little to no good results. maybe i'm just anal retentive, maybe i just have no clue what the fck i'm doing...but i'm still kind of coming up blank, or i'm ending up with really miserable sounding stabs.

driving me nuts...
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

are you playing the right chords?

what program are you using to make music on?
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

::BLM:: wrote:are you playing the right chords?

what program are you using to make music on?
is there a "right" chord?

and i do most everything in ableton, because its quick for me, then i rewire to logic.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier