deep and solid kickdrum

- ask away
teknobryan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by teknobryan »

phase invert. I used the Utility plugin in Live and it worked! sometimes it sounds better with it off rather then on, but basically, if the the kick is canceling out the sine, then phase invert it. With this trick you don't even need to highpass your kick sample.

When I listen to his songs now I can hear the kick being in tune with the bass line.... nice trick.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'm sorry but a lot of this is just production bullshit. There's no 'secret' formula to make any kick.

Too many people starting out think there is this elusive, ultimate kick.....

It doesn't exist, sure, there are good starting points or samples but ultimately, you can mix any sound into a production providing there's room for it.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

teknobryan wrote:phase invert.
Good advice.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
teknobryan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by teknobryan »

AK wrote:I'm sorry but a lot of this is just production bullshit. There's no 'secret' formula to make any kick.

Too many people starting out think there is this elusive, ultimate kick.....

It doesn't exist, sure, there are good starting points or samples but ultimately, you can mix any sound into a production providing there's room for it.

how is layering a sine wave production bullshit? Especially when you can hear it?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

teknobryan wrote:how is layering a sine wave production bullshit? Especially when you can hear it?
I believe AK is referring to something as the Ultimate Kick... it doesn't really exist. AK is right, but different tools and techniques still apply.
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

Jesus christ,

the most solid bassdrums in dance music history are just plain 808 or 909 with eqing and compression. Really, get a grip about mixing. Cause with all this phase inversion and whatever crap you'll most likely end up without something useful if you actually have no idea how to control it.

And if you'd know how to control and shape sound, you most likely wouldn't ask. So go back to the scratchtable, read up on EQing and compression and do it straight!

My definite 2 cent on this.
Always think twice.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Ronny Pries wrote:Jesus christ,

the most solid bassdrums in dance music history are just plain 808 or 909 with eqing and compression. Really, get a grip about mixing. Cause with all this phase inversion and whatever crap you'll most likely end up without something useful if you actually have no idea how to control it.

And if you'd know how to control and shape sound, you most likely wouldn't ask. So go back to the scratchtable, read up on EQing and compression and do it straight!

My definite 2 cent on this.
infact i'd go further to say that the most solid bassdrums in dance music history were quite often just 808 or 909 without EQ'ing or compression, and were more often than not down to over-driving the channel on your analogue mixer.

the 909 kick is fat anyway, compression quite often kills it unless thats the effect youre after, and its EQ is already pretty much spot on.

the only problem with the 909 is that you're stuck with one note G#.

i bought an mbase 01 analogue kick drum module on the advice of various members of this forum, and it does the job of the 909 and 808 but is much more flexible and you can tune it to whatever note you want.

it's well worth checking out
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote:the only problem with the 909 is that you're stuck with one note G#.
i <3 G#