Claude VonStroke - Who's afraid of Reason?

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

AK wrote:Most ppl just take it at face value, there's a lot of stuff that is suitable for sync'd BPm stuff, evelope following is a big thing for me, get the envelope shape from a Drex for example to modulate your ( something ).

It's very deep, capable of spitting out really mad stuff...
Yup and that routing probably the best part about reason...

I just think its interesting how a video showing "a professional" using reason for very little of its actual capabilities, can convince a whole slew of people the that reason is no longer the mind killer. I bet you they had to edit a bit of footage out because there was not really any mention of how bad some of the other devices were in reason... but like you are ever going to see that from a self promoted video. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

I like Reason.

Having owned and used so much hardware its pathetic I'd say that Reason sounds fine compared to any digital counterparts. I have spent so much time listening to both. I think what throws people off is they don't use any marketing like Arturia and design their stuff like actual old skool synths.

Hahaha, as if Arturia's minimoog or Jupiter-8 sound like the real thing! Total psychoacoustic games played from wrapping those plugins in familiar classic synth graphics! Let's sit down with a model-d or even a voyager, and I am a monkey's uncle if we dont "feel the power" like so many sots before us. The real thing is the real thing baby!

Having said that, Reason is capable of quite a lot, the many great tunes written in it are testimony to that.

I say this at the same time that I have access to, and regularly compose on a couple tb303's, Dave Smith stuff, a Sunsyn, the elektron boxes, an 808, moogs, waldorf's, virus, etc, etc...

There is indeed some magic in the Propellerheads coding, IMO. Its just so easy, and it sounds pretty dang good.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

AK wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
jessejames wrote:It seems he is using Reason because it's the only digital DAW he's ever used. I dunno, that's what I got out of it. He was all outboard then discovered Reason yada yada.
And here is the conclusion i was looking for. :D
yeah and? :roll:

+1

people give you more credit if you say:

"I use ableton live and 1,309,440,924 VST's"
or
"I use only hardware"

I agree with the guy who said that it is about working with what you have, as long as you know what you are doing....you could have all the hardware in the world, or all the other softwares and VST"s, they dont do music by themselves....do they?
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

PsyTox wrote:so true. I am still trying to figure out Logic, only recently bought that one, so I basically use Reason to make everything, and every channel is rewired into Ableton and I work mostly like that. But I hope to change to logic soon, simply for the EQ's and mastering. Just have to find how to rewire everything nicely :)
reason rewires into logic's auxiliary channels which are created and controlled in the mixer section. the nice thing about it is you create say 16 channels, choose your input as reason 1&2, tick ascending and all 16 channels are routed to the individual outputs of the hardware device.
dan_g
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dan_g »

in short: i love reason
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i dont understand, theres loads of awesome music made on Reason.

if i wasnt a hardware musician, i'd probably use Reason before using something like Ableton.

if youre a good musician, you can make music on anything.
jaylun
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaylun »

Reason works best for me rewired in Ableton. Ableton's engine & sequencer sounds a bit better imo.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Audio Dependent wrote:
PsyTox wrote:so true. I am still trying to figure out Logic, only recently bought that one, so I basically use Reason to make everything, and every channel is rewired into Ableton and I work mostly like that. But I hope to change to logic soon, simply for the EQ's and mastering. Just have to find how to rewire everything nicely :)
reason rewires into logic's auxiliary channels which are created and controlled in the mixer section. the nice thing about it is you create say 16 channels, choose your input as reason 1&2, tick ascending and all 16 channels are routed to the individual outputs of the hardware device.
aha, bit like what default template I have now for Ableton. Must be some setting I got wrong somehow. Tnx for the heads up, i know what to look for now. :)