Massive Breaks and Effects in Tracks

- ask away
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

Maiyal wrote:Someone throw in the vinyl vs. mp3 argument and we've got mnml summed up in one topic. ;)
you're a dawg for that one
beam me up
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

tone-def wrote:some tracks are spectacular. thats what everyone should be aiming for. anything less than spectacular isn't good enough.
yeah, i dont agree that tracks on their own aren't that spectacular, in fact id say personally when listening to tracks on their own and im caught by really good ones i want to put them in a set for its own merits, to showcase the track itself not just as a tool to layer.

i mean i think most of you would agree, its not like i ONLY listen to dj sets all the time and thats the only way a track is made "spectacular."

@ OP : you have some options,

1) just dont buy the track, if the break down breaks the flow that much then dont bother, no matter how good the track may be.

2) what do u use to dj? if u run a digital setup? cause you could always create cue points and jump to them while djing and completely by pass the breakdown altogether.

3) like someone else pointed out you could always edit the track to your liking. get a program that edits audio files, audacity is free, or even pay for something like live intro. the download version is only 100usd. if anything dl their free trial and just edit the track for use ;)

im surprised youve seemingly never thought of this before. this is one of the greatest tools for a dj cause you can create your own track edits and then its yours, nobody else has that, it keeps your stuff original and makes you stand out as a dj.

be creative man! 8)
Last edited by Spurn on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

I love empty break, it give a good feeling in a track and in a club, its definitly nice exept if all the tracks you play got it. I was a lil bit surprised by the last cadenza. My last consciensious, if my memory is steel here... everything stop and the bass in playing, is kind of weird. But, in a club, a big break give a really nice feeling. in my opinion.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

^^^ its just like any other kind of song structure, you have the verse, chorus, bridge, etc. in dance music theres usually the break, which i guess is like the equivalent to the bridge, so yeah sometimes theyre great but like the OP is saying is sometimes they can break the flow of a set.

maaaaaan, i was dating this girl who was really into dubstep so she took me to this dubstep party and it was the first i'd ever really heard the music and been to one of those parties, it was cool, i was able to enjoy the music for the most part (alcohol) but they have waaaaaay too many breaks! and they're all mad long and really silly sounding sometimes, lol

even still, trance breaks are the worst, freaking waiting with your hands in he air for like a half an hour. :P
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

zxcv wrote:when you play a track on his own
it isnt that spectacular
it is the dj job to make it special
with good mixes and good tune selection

Why would someone play a track that isnt anything but spectacular? Even if it is being used as a layer, it should still be spectacular. I hate th term 'Set Fodder' or 'filler record'. Each track should be as good as you can possibly get!
bleepbleep
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bleepbleep »

tone-def wrote:some tracks are spectacular. thats what everyone should be aiming for. anything less than spectacular isn't good enough.
well said.

The longer the breakdown the harder it is to pull it off, i'm totally the same as the OP when it comes to being in a club and just standing there looking around waiting for the track to come back in. If your going to have a massive breakdown where the track is reduced to almost nothing you need to keep the groove going somehow. But maybe i'm abit jaded after listening to too many psy trance tracks with pointless breakdowns.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

most dj's are tools ;)

Always find it weird that people want to confine music to what it MUST sound like. Some tracks would be sh!t without a nice break (like Emmanuel Top 's "Asteroid", without the massive breakdown in the middle it wouldn't work for the full 13 minutes), some would be destroyed if you put a break in them (thinking of Acid Eiffel by Choice but with a breakdown and drumrolls, awful).

And dj's who over-use the efx "to create energy" work on my nerves a lot more then a producer who makes a break in a track because he feels a dancefloor could need it.

Basically: just leave the track making to the producer and the selecting to the dj and let the crowd worry whether it is good or bad 8)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

PsyTox wrote: Basically: just leave the track making to the producer and the selecting to the dj and let the crowd worry whether it is good or bad 8)
Amen to that.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk