anyone still listen to trance?

- open
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

boomstick wrote:if it weren't for samuel barber, i bet we wouldnt have ever heard of tiesto.
Tiesto was very popular even before Adagio For Strings. I use to be a big fan, and yes i'm ashamed today!

So minimal is the new trance? It was good before 2004, and now (almost) everything sounds the same?
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

LouisVee wrote:
boomstick wrote:if it weren't for samuel barber, i bet we wouldnt have ever heard of tiesto.
Tiesto was very popular even before Adagio For Strings. I use to be a big fan, and yes i'm ashamed today!

So minimal is the new trance? It was good before 2004, and now (almost) everything sounds the same?
well i would have heard of him if it werent for it. i choose to be isolated from the tiesto community really, so i dont know anything about him. but samuel barber is the man and theres no denying that(yes i liked tiesto's adagio for strings, but the good parts are the string section playing pure barber).
beam me up
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

LouisVee wrote:So minimal is the new trance? It was good before 2004, and now (almost) everything sounds the same?
:shock:
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by -ix »

LouisVee wrote:
His first pair of mix cds were great
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

LouisVee wrote:

Everyone is always talking about the Tiesto version, but the best trance version of Barber's Adagio For String is actually the one by Ferry Corsten. Hear that one on a massive Innercity dancefloor and it'll stick to you forever. Or hearing Cafe Del mar by Energy 52 in Kid Paul Mix on Mayday while they turn out all the lights and some dude runs through the arena with a torch like he's an olympic runner... Or hearing Microbots on a dancefloor in 1991 (!) while a radio-controlled silver balloon hoovers over the crowd... Or hearing Rank 1 live on the shore of a mountain lake while the sun goes down over the mountains and you're dancing in the snow...

Although I love techno and minimal, most of my truely once-in-a-lifetime memories on parties come from trance events. It just used to be the perfect music for that impressive moment stuff. Especially with the truckloads of lasers and massive arenas that music was designed for :)

I remember going to the first Innercity in 1999 (just on a spur of the moment thing, because SVen Vath played there...) and Tiesto was all small printed on the posters. He made such a huge impression on me that night that I threw all my records aside and played nothing but progressive and trance for years. I can certainly understand how he became so famous, hard work and a nose for business. But he also used to really be a fantastic dj. But as it always goes, at some point the cheques are so huge you just keep on doing the same thing because that brings in the bacon... Still, his first few In Search For Sunrise CD's are top notch.

As for minimal: I'm totally bored with most of it these days, especially the mannheim sound of Cecile and 8bit and Nick Curly etc ... or even great labels like Mobilee or Cadenza that have gone that path. if there ever was a better example of music sounding all the same, that sound would really be it right now. A bit like trance has been in the last ten years :)
dave_essex
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dave_essex »

i got into electronic music through listening to trance many moons ago! But since catching the techno bug I have never looked back. Some of the classic tracks from around 99-2000 era were when the genre was in it's prime in my opinion. Think it's a genre that hasnt really progressed since.
Marvid
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Marvid »

PsyTox wrote:... It just used to be the perfect music for that impressive moment stuff. Especially with the truckloads of lasers and massive arenas that music was designed for :)
+1

I think the FACT-Mix by Carl Cox is my most-played mix ever. Gotta grab a copy again somewhere, didn't listen to it for nearly 10 years now ...
When I today *have* to listen to new trance-releases at work it just bores me at best or makes me angry. Cheap preset-formula-bullshit. What a waste of vinyl.
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

PsyTox wrote:
LouisVee wrote:

Everyone is always talking about the Tiesto version, but the best trance version of Barber's Adagio For String is actually the one by Ferry Corsten. Hear that one on a massive Innercity dancefloor and it'll stick to you forever. Or hearing Cafe Del mar by Energy 52 in Kid Paul Mix on Mayday while they turn out all the lights and some dude runs through the arena with a torch like he's an olympic runner... Or hearing Microbots on a dancefloor in 1991 (!) while a radio-controlled silver balloon hoovers over the crowd... Or hearing Rank 1 live on the shore of a mountain lake while the sun goes down over the mountains and you're dancing in the snow...

Although I love techno and minimal, most of my truely once-in-a-lifetime memories on parties come from trance events. It just used to be the perfect music for that impressive moment stuff. Especially with the truckloads of lasers and massive arenas that music was designed for :)

I remember going to the first Innercity in 1999 (just on a spur of the moment thing, because SVen Vath played there...) and Tiesto was all small printed on the posters. He made such a huge impression on me that night that I threw all my records aside and played nothing but progressive and trance for years. I can certainly understand how he became so famous, hard work and a nose for business. But he also used to really be a fantastic dj. But as it always goes, at some point the cheques are so huge you just keep on doing the same thing because that brings in the bacon... Still, his first few In Search For Sunrise CD's are top notch.

As for minimal: I'm totally bored with most of it these days, especially the mannheim sound of Cecile and 8bit and Nick Curly etc ... or even great labels like Mobilee or Cadenza that have gone that path. if there ever was a better example of music sounding all the same, that sound would really be it right now. A bit like trance has been in the last ten years :)
well, for me it was also always a crowd thing. When I was in school, the ones listening to trance and stuff were mostly the '2 cool 4 school' boys. When I heard trance, I always imagined those guys searching for the cheap thrills, and that image fitted right in with the epic but still cheesy sound of trance. I searched for good alternatives and found it in the electronica and downtempo genres, and afterwards techno. I never went through a trance phase, although I clearly see that lots of people on this board did.

I have to say I never knew the early trance, it's a kind of a legend that Knight of the Jaguar was the first trance record, but lately I buyed a detroit track from John Thomas, which imo knows alot about techno and stuff and he labelled the track I wanted (Joe Lewis - Life Immoreal) as 'US trance'. Well, if this is early trance, I'll have to revise my thoughts about the genre, because this is one of the best tracks ever :)