Which soundcard to get ?

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I got the MOTU, very happy with it. I also take it to gigs, both for djing and livesets. Does the job very well, also has a little DSP with decent sounding eqs and a reverb.

I'd recommend it :)
I'm also on the hunt for a mixer with integrated soundcard. I have a friend who has a ZedR16 and it's really awesome to work with it, so much more intuitive... The computer becomes more like a tape machine. Really love the feel i must say, but as you stated it's really big... :o
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I was going to get the zed16, but I would have to wait till april and I dont think I can wait because my soundcard is ruined.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

NoAffiliation wrote:
tone-def wrote:the new Avid M Boxes are in the same league as the apogee duet.

Echo Audio sound really good for the money. better than RME
no (-)
have you actually tested them? :roll:
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote:I now need a new soundcard. I was going to a get a mixer with soundcard, but now I don't have the room for it as I over estimated how big my room was and its now packed as i just bought a big synth.

Need 8ins/8outs and wanna spend about 500 quid. Whats good? I'm using an old m-audio delta which I hate as wont change sample rate and its locked into 22.

Anyone got one of these: http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/ ... rid--69750
if your using cubase

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/ ... ace--57059

i havent tested it personally but they seem to raving about it over at gearslutz.

also the echo audiofire 12 is really good, it's got the same converter chip as apogee but without the preamps. if your only recording synths then it's a really good interface.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

tone-def wrote:
NoAffiliation wrote:
tone-def wrote:the new Avid M Boxes are in the same league as the apogee duet.

Echo Audio sound really good for the money. better than RME
no (-)
have you actually tested them? :roll:
owned, listened, tested

had two echo audiofires at one point (audiofire2 for playing live)

conversion on my fireface800 is more transparent and capable of lower latency. Before that i had a fireface400 while i still owned one of the audiofires which i was using to gig quite often. so not only did i compare the sound in my studio, but also in various venues playing recordings i was intimately familiar with from the fireface through the echo during a liveset...

echo's are great cards, the D/A is pretty damn good considering the price but the A/D (or d/a) is not in the league of rme, apogee, lynx...

i have not heard the new avid Mbox, all i can say is that it better be good considering they quality of the mbox on the market for the last decade
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

tone-def wrote: also the echo audiofire 12 is really good, it's got the same converter chip as apogee but without the preamps. if your only recording synths then it's a really good interface.
Most interfaces actually use the same AKM or Cirrus Logic converters, even cheap maudio cards. It is a false illusion to think that because the converters are the same that you are getting the same quality.

the accuracy of the clock and analog stages will make the difference
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

NoAffiliation wrote:
tone-def wrote: also the echo audiofire 12 is really good, it's got the same converter chip as apogee but without the preamps. if your only recording synths then it's a really good interface.
Most interfaces actually use the same AKM or Cirrus Logic converters, even cheap maudio cards. It is a false illusion to think that because the converters are the same that you are getting the same quality.

the accuracy of the clock and analog stages will make the difference
I gotta say I agree with this.
I don't know anything about the parts in either, but
I switched from 2 Echo soundcards to 2 Apogee ones,
and there is a very obvious difference.
Latency on my Echo's was way worse than on my Apogees.
In fact on my Apogees it's almost non-existent, or at least so small it ain't an issue anymore. With the echo's it really was an issue.
And soundwise there sure as hell is !

I also heard RME cards several times, and always found them far better sounding than my Echo's.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

So for 500 quid whats good to get?