mbase 11

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

the semitone setting is for using with midi-notes right ?

jomox told me for more resolution set it to linear.

the thing is, its not that its not possible to do with a digital encoder, all my virtual analogue synths can tune to cent resolution, which is what i would have thought is the accepted minimum for musicians, thats 50 steps per semitone !

2 to 4 or even 7 steps is coarse.

i dont think it would be too difficult to change the range so that the 250 increments fell over an octave instead of 3, you dont need a range of 3 octaves for a kick drum, and if you're using it as a bass, you would be using the sem setting anyway.

you probably just need to change an Eprom.
Last edited by steevio on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

yeah, its for the midi note setting, where midi notes are mapped to semitones directly. But for bass notes i think this should be far better than the linear setting, because in the bass register the notes are nearer together, which effectively decreases the resolution in linear setting... Maybe worth checking out again... But your defo right with the three octaves, at first i couldnt put them to any use, but now i use the mbase also for toms :D

the reason why the mbase has the coars stepping might be the features vs cost tradeoff, which is overly important fo small manufacturers like jomox. maybe higher resolution encoders are more expensive or something. Well, just guessing here...... Seems like the vermona seems your way to go, i personally dont know about other standalone kick drum modules. Arent there some in eurorack format?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think youre right, its a cost thing, so i'm being a bit disrespectful.

its still a massive kickdrum.
willianpires
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by willianpires »

hey guys! an guestion, with mbase11 it's possible make a sub/bass like coyu, loko, ecc? thanks a lot.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

steevio wrote:i think youre right, its a cost thing, so i'm being a bit disrespectful.

its still a massive kickdrum.

no worries bro, im not a fanboy or anything.......
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

willianpires wrote:hey guys! an guestion, with mbase11 it's possible make a sub/bass like coyu, loko, ecc? thanks a lot.

Dunno about those guys, but yes you can make subbass sounds with the mbase. But its more of a side effect, not the main purpose of the machine. Imo go for a synth if you want sub.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

jobbanaught wrote:
willianpires wrote:hey guys! an guestion, with mbase11 it's possible make a sub/bass like coyu, loko, ecc? thanks a lot.

Dunno about those guys, but yes you can make subbass sounds with the mbase. But its more of a side effect, not the main purpose of the machine. Imo go for a synth if you want sub.
bruno pronsato does all his basslines on the mbase 01, not using it for kick drums... 8)

a cool thing about that machine is how the attack sounds even at lower values, makes it possible to make the whole kick/bass out of just one sound instead of two separate instruments. makes the whole "kick/bass" a hell of alot easier
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Do any shop in London have the Mbase? Can't seem to find a single one with it in!