who are your influences?

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

AK wrote:....... Im gonna invent a new house sub genre and call it council house, theres just too many to remember, micro house, thats another one. Its nucking futs!
Haha, how would council house sound?

Im really inspired by what I used to hear on the members section. I think the people that used to post on there are all signed now, so they don't post there anymore. :(
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

lem wrote:Haha, how would council house sound?
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Chicago+U ... nd+Council

one of my most treasured pieces of vinyl 8)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

lem wrote: Haha, how would council house sound?
it's the lowest common denominator cheap house with grime MC's. lyrics normally contain a message about benefits, teenage pregnancy and hating everyone who's had a better life than them, especially the middle class.

that's the sound of essex council house.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

tone-def wrote:
lem wrote: Haha, how would council house sound?
it's the lowest common denominator cheap house with grime MC's. lyrics normally contain a message about benefits, teenage pregnancy and hating everyone who's had a better life than them, especially the middle class.

that's the sound of essex council house.
Hahah! That almost sounds like a lyric... Now I can 'sing' it over my favorite grime beats.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

widdly wrote:Some of the chords they use in bossa nova are pretty cool. The progressions and substitutions are often pretty far out but they come off as really chilled and smooth.

I not ashamed to admit that I'm a big fan of Mahavishnu Orchestra. In between the self indulgent epic solos and cheesy jan hammer moog lines there are some awesome chilled out bits, not to mention the crazy chord progressions and time signatures. Some of it is so way out in terms of time signature and harmony but you don't really notice because it grooves so nicely.
Yeah, some of the bossa nova stuff is harmonically complex over simplistic rhythms. It's inherently jazz but often you'll find it less swung. Hardly any triad chords here, like jazz you will find the smallest chords contain 7ths. I prefer the stuff that doesnt try to resolve itself in conventional ways. We are so acoustically tuned to cadencies that when we hear dissonance or a dominant chord, we are subconsciously expecting it to resolve to the tonic chord or something concordant. Clever music can lead to unexpected changes which challenge the brain and unprogram it from preconcieved expectations. This is the kind of mental separation that a lot of western ears need. We are so accustomed to an overused harmonic structure that anything outside of this can alienate the average listener. And that's a shame because there's some wonderful music out there that is seriously inspiring.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
widdly wrote:Some of the chords they use in bossa nova are pretty cool. The progressions and substitutions are often pretty far out but they come off as really chilled and smooth.

I not ashamed to admit that I'm a big fan of Mahavishnu Orchestra. In between the self indulgent epic solos and cheesy jan hammer moog lines there are some awesome chilled out bits, not to mention the crazy chord progressions and time signatures. Some of it is so way out in terms of time signature and harmony but you don't really notice because it grooves so nicely.
Yeah, some of the bossa nova stuff is harmonically complex over simplistic rhythms. It's inherently jazz but often you'll find it less swung. Hardly any triad chords here, like jazz you will find the smallest chords contain 7ths. I prefer the stuff that doesnt try to resolve itself in conventional ways. We are so acoustically tuned to cadencies that when we hear dissonance or a dominant chord, we are subconsciously expecting it to resolve to the tonic chord or something concordant. Clever music can lead to unexpected changes which challenge the brain and unprogram it from preconcieved expectations. This is the kind of mental separation that a lot of western ears need. We are so accustomed to an overused harmonic structure that anything outside of this can alienate the average listener. And that's a shame because there's some wonderful music out there that is seriously inspiring.
bit OT, but thats my feelings on music exactly bro.

the first thing i threw out was chords, they are too recognizable and westernised.
tuning and balancing various oscillator waveforms is where its at for me in techno.
playing with the harmonic relationships between them. you can make sounds that sound like chords but dont invoke the regular feelings we get from classic chords, and they can morph into other sounds without cheesey cadences, and resolutions.
there should be a theory of techno, its deffo coming from a different place to classic theory.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Its not ot mate, its all influential stuff to me.
I'd have to give that a try, although im not quite sure what you mean. I like using chords that people dont use that often because like you, I get the almost cliche factor feeling. At least with the more obvious chords but im not following you on the balancing osc/waveform thing. Sounds interesting.

I should expose myself to music outside of 12tet too. That could be eye opening.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

with chords i sometimes am attracted to obvious kinda pitch changes. there's some age old stuff, dna or otherwise. the sound of returning home. stuff like that.

I was playing on a piano the other week. Good music machine! I liked little movements in pitch like under the surface. Not big polyphonic changes, more like slightly changing one note or so. (hard to explain what i mean) Definitely with techno there are the resources to explore stuff like that, certainly we have access to harmonic structures that no one else had avaialable. I can't think of too many machines from the past which could really alter their timbre at all, let alone to the extent of playing with the exact physical shape of waveforms and their harmonic content. And often in expressive ways... definitely not laboratory type stuff. Just ask the machine to do it and it will obey!

I dunno exactly how I feel about non 12tET. I deifnitely feel that 12tET is crappy, lots of times it sounds plain ugly and discordant, and used wrong it's just too obvious. But it definitely has the 'big guns' out of the avaiable pitches, and if you use those ratios well you can go far.

Recently I've been playing all my pitches exactly by hand. Analogue potentiometer moved thru all possiblties to find the one that 'fitted', and tbh I always just ended up at those white key kinda things. (but maybe a bit nicer from not being totally on the dot)

Definitely fat analogue oscillators are not suited to complex microtonal ratios. but you can do some stuff i reckon. obviously glide, and maybe little movements like 20 cents or something.

Still have to make my mind up on that.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.