How some crappy labels (owners) think?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

loictambay wrote: but I know if I were to dish out money on mastering, I'd want me music run through exotic gear I couldn't possibly dream of owning myself.
me too.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm spending too much time on here, and getting all emotional involved and opinionated, and i really need to do alot of work, but i'd just like to agree with someone earlier who said effectively you have to become a family with your label.

since 2000, ive had the pleasure of being involved with an increadibly talented buch of guys, totally professional, amazing musicians, and we have become a big family who are all the stronger for being able to bounce ideas off each other, and we have big party fun.

how impoversished is the world of sending demos to annonymous labels who dont care.
you must become best friends with the people who share your dream.

a label isnt about making money, its about being part of something, buzzing off your mates, co-creation, and the journey.

happy new year :)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

That was me that said that. It's nice to grow together as well, for me that is the most important thing. It's nice to hear that Leif or whoever else that is on our label is doing really well for themselves. It also helps the label grow stronger, which is fantastic. I think this is the secret now to success... I think more labels will start looking after the bookings for their artists which will mean the family unit will grow stronger.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

steevio wrote:how impoversished is the world of sending demos to annonymous labels who dont care.
you must become best friends with the people who share your dream.

a label isnt about making money, its about being part of something, buzzing off your mates, co-creation, and the journey.

happy new year :)
That fact cut me to the heart this year and I only work with friends now. I can only work with people if we understand each other. I don't demo at all, all my music goes to my friends' labels by request.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

To come back to what was initially said, I'd say its important to do your homeworks before sending a demo to a label. I still can't believe the number of people sending us music without even have heard one single track of the label nor knowing who we released.

I mean, if you send your music to 1000 labels and just compile them from a list, of course you're going to end up falling on a few unpro ones. I'd say, yeah there's so many labels out there that are whack but it's important to know who you apply to.

You can do that but entering in contact with label's artists and ask them about their experience or send an email to the label and just have a chit chat on how they do things beforehand sending anything.
This will eliminate bad surprises.
Good luck...

jp.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

oh and I'd add... we answer 100% of emails of people who get in touch to know how we work (they're so rare anyway). Emails that just send a demo and often quickly read, heard and in 90% of times, discarded because they don't fit.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Like what?
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

I've signed on few labels (mostley because of this website actually) as I don't send demos, as I think my music is never finished and never good enough...They aren't big labels, but the guys are cool, they take care of the mastering, and you get a contract...that's the minimum you can ask for ! But don't even think you'll make money out of it...because you won't...or maybe a few euros... :lol:
Now another experience, I've signed on other labels because I won a remix contest....I sold two tracks (digital) and made pretty good money on it...but with another name, as it was more...commercial ;) Yess I sold part of my soul to the capitalistic devil ! !
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin