all hardware setup

- ask away
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

jobbanaught wrote:
TechnoMusic wrote:For every 100 experimental bloops video on you tube there will be 1 or 2 passable actual music with a modular video.

Without any personal feelings about modular this is just true. I was curious about modular for a while, but this somehow put me off. I found almost no display of interesting music made with modulars on the web (the bleepy stuff is not music to me, any noob could make that patching cables randomly). Maybe most people are overwhelmed with the possibilities of modular and end up just bleeping around all day??? Wheres the music?
Good music is where good music always is, on the records. Have you ever noticed that 99% of gear demonstrations on youtube suck on a musical level? Real producers don't wank on youtube, they put out records and get paid for them.
lowpassfellow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lowpassfellow »

Casanova808 wrote:Good music is where good music always is, on the records. Have you ever noticed that 99% of gear demonstrations on youtube suck on a musical level? Real producers don't wank on youtube, they put out records and get paid for them.
i think that's a harsh thing to say. there are some very accomplished producers who make some fantastic music that release on netlabels and similar mediums. i don't think anyone has the right to belittle them just because they have decided not to profit off their creations.

i've witnessed some pretty horrendous tunes that have somehow become published. just because they've made it onto plastic doesn't make them good.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

lowpassfellow wrote: i've witnessed some pretty horrendous tunes that have somehow become published. just because they've made it onto plastic doesn't make them good.
Good point.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

tone-def wrote: i agree though, mono synths that aren't modular of semi modular are a waste of money (unless it's a mini moog).
Why?

What about an SH-101, or these: Sequential Circuits Pro One, OSCar, Wladorf Pulse, Moog Prodigy, Moog Source, Studio Electronics SE-1, Roland MC-202 and that's just off the top of my head.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

@Steevio. Just because modular is your flavour of the month, does it mean that we all have to abandon what we do and buy modular?

If this were a guitar forum, it would be the equivalent of saying, 'Hey guys, you have been cheating yourselves all your lives buying these Fenders, Les Paul's etc. Making your own guitar is the ONLY way to go from now on. I can tell you that now since I have been doing it.'
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

oblioblioblio wrote:
jobbanaught wrote: Wheres the music?
I don't usually judge music based on searching for videos of people using types on instruments on youtube.

Like, if you search for tb303, you don't get Phuture.

If you search for a piano you're not gonna get some beautiful haunting symphony. You're just gonna get some human using a machine. They could just be playing for fun. They could have a different idea of what music is to them.

All the best music made with modular is on record or in disks. (but there is some beautiful stuff on youtube)

Good point. On the other hand, if you see youtube as the lowest level of public exposure, its strange that you find good demos of all gear imaginable, but not so much from the modular people. And i was looking for videos because you get a better picture if you see what someone is doing on his instrument AND hearing the results, at least if you know how the instrument works.

I dont want to diss anybody, im just curiuos thats all. Please point me to some artists or records then, which are based on modular synths.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

eggnchips wrote:@Steevio. Just because modular is your flavour of the month, does it mean that we all have to abandon what we do and buy modular?

If this were a guitar forum, it would be the equivalent of saying, 'Hey guys, you have been cheating yourselves all your lives buying these Fenders, Les Paul's etc. Making your own guitar is the ONLY way to go from now on. I can tell you that now since I have been doing it.'
I cant talk for steevio. But I can say that this is nothing to do with encouraging anyone towards a different way of thinking than what is natural to them. Or being elitist and saying modular is the only valid way to make music.

Its just simple physics. Modular is fucking magical, and it's totally the right time to get into it. There's a wave cresting. There are some of the best machines ever designed at the cheapest they're gonna be. It's a new universe of possiblities of sound. And this is a techno forum, these are exactly the right initial conditions (technically) that kicked off 80s/90s electronic music. Access to a new set of expressions of man and machine.

It's not like the 80s. Dance music has gone stale and got fresh many times. And modular is different to Roland, it's expensive, and you gotta work hard to make it work for you. So yes, there is a reality there (which has been mentioned)

I'm cheerleading for modular for other people. I don't give a flying fck who is using it or not, it's their music and machines it's their domain. It doesn't affect me. I've got a modular sentnece of 20 years to life and I fucking love it. But it's just too much magic to let talented people who are looking to buy gear who are interested in electronic tonalities/modulations ignore this.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Good music is where good music always is, on the records. Have you ever noticed that 99% of gear demonstrations on youtube suck on a musical level? Real producers don't wank on youtube, they put out records and get paid for them.
Ill agree good producers put out records instead of wanking about on youtube, but getting paid for releasing music? Now who is living in a dream world? ..........................I kid I kid :)
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog