Roland SH 101 repair question??

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:in some ways you've got to ignore the talk of prices. You can't really attach a price tag to what a machine means to YOU as a musician. You could pay vintage prices for an sh101, and use it in every tune you make, develop a deep relationship with it... know it inside out and always feel inspired by it.

in machine terms.. you can probably invest your money better elsewhere, but the sh101 is one of a kind for sure. And for vintage prices you will get a lot more possiblities with a 101 than a 303... 101 is definitely not a 1 trick poney.
i agree,
theres other ways to look at it, i paid alot for my 909 back in the mid 1990s (£900) but ive used it on virtually every record ive done, people were saying that they were way too expensive back then, but i'm so happy i bought it..
also i used to collect vintage Fender guitars, i was buying them in the 1980s when the prices had already started to go up and people were saying the prices were ridiculous, ( at the time £1200 for a pre-cbs strat )
same guitar goes for around £20,000 now

selling my small guitar collection effectively set me up for life with a good EDM studio.
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

youre the man steevio!

well someone else offered the guy more money so im not getting the 101 now anyways. my own fault for being a bit hesitant about committing to buy it off of him. i was just rly unsure with having to fix it and all.

im rly into hardware gear. in fact i often think about how when i first got into production i bought ableton suite with all of the extra nick knacks and soft synths with it and i never, NEVER use any of them. im always using my prophet and shaping the sound in different ways to make different sounds.

so if most of you guys are telling me not to buy a 101 cuz the price is ridic. but all also agree that its usefulness is great, especially in the bass area, then what else would you guys suggest that is cheap or money better spent on that can produce at least similar quality basses?

in all honesty ive been wanting to get an sh 2 for awhile but they seem even more rare and the price fairly high for one as well.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tbh i dont think i would ever buy a broken SH101

you've probably saved yourself a lot of grief.

just keep scouring ebay
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

There is so much new analog stuff on the market I don't see why people would pay "vintage" prices for old synths. They might have mojo, but they cost too much now. I would have to sell a lot of records in order to buy a 101.

What I would like to see is a module based off of the 101 sequencer. You really can't beat that sequencer for building simple riffs. You could have a lot of fun if you combined something like that with the Europa sequencer sending trig out .
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

steevio wrote:i tried to get sliders (potentiometers) for mine last year and they are unavailable. they are the thing which most goes wrong with the SH101.

they can still be got from the original company but you have to buy 1000 at a time.

the guy on this site ; http://www.vintageplanet.nl/

said he would buy a batch if he got enough interest, but it still looks as though he hasnt.

its a very good site for vintage spares.

like oblio says Roland wont want to know you.

I could have sworn I saw sliders on the technology transplant website, that's where I got my Juno 106 sliders...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^
yeah oblio pointed it out earlier, perfect.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

Casanova808 wrote:There is so much new analog stuff on the market I don't see why people would pay "vintage" prices for old synths. They might have mojo, but they cost too much now. I would have to sell a lot of records in order to buy a 101.

What I would like to see is a module based off of the 101 sequencer. You really can't beat that sequencer for building simple riffs. You could have a lot of fun if you combined something like that with the Europa sequencer sending trig out .
you could totally build something of similar awesomeness to the 101 from a modular rig. combine with computer controlled sequencing! you would have a bad ass setup for probably the same price or less right?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

then what else would you guys suggest that is cheap or money better spent on that can produce at least similar quality basses?

.[/quote]

Waldorf Pulse mate. 3 analog oscillator, full midi spec beast. Its price is a bargain right now, the envelopes are as fast, if not faster than a 101, and it can cut through a mix like a knife. Real bollox to it and mad modulation options. Every parameter can be controlled via your sequencer and whilst you lose out on the hands on aspect, you are not disappointed from what can come out of this unit.

Its envelopes are fast enough for percussive stuff, the punchiness and the filter are sharp enough to cut through a dense mix and the sheer versatility of the modulation matrix can do stuff remincent of modular type gear. It's a bit of kit I really rate, awesome in the right hands and once you realise its potential, you wont want to let it go. It kinda took a back seat cos of its lack of immediacy but if you just interface it, you have a quality synth with a really good and solid sound. Get one, hell get 2 or 3.