DSI Tetra + Vermona DRM or Prophet 8 or Deopfer A100 ?

- ask away
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Ok i just gotta say this before i go crazy........

I love analog stuff too but for the most part if you're looking to make music and you want to get the most bang for your buck i wouldn't fck with any of the analog stuff that's out even now. A Kurzwiel K2000 sounds better than any of that stuff mentioned and a used one is like half the price. Now if you already have a good workstation keyboard and are looking to expand your studio then i say yes, go for some of the new analog stuff. You got to use your ears though because the truth is that Analog does not always = better, in fact in versatility it can't even touch allot of digital boards.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Torque wrote:Ok i just gotta say this before i go crazy........

I love analog stuff too but for the most part if you're looking to make music and you want to get the most bang for your buck i wouldn't fck with any of the analog stuff that's out even now. A Kurzwiel K2000 sounds better than any of that stuff mentioned and a used one is like half the price. Now if you already have a good workstation keyboard and are looking to expand your studio then i say yes, go for some of the new analog stuff. You got to use your ears though because the truth is that Analog does not always = better, in fact in versatility it can't even touch allot of digital boards.
i dunno. i think there's a wave of designers in the modular scene who are up there with the big guns from synth history like Moog, Buchla, Serge, Roland crew, etc etc.

I think expansive functionality from digital is not conducive towards my personal musical process. It's taken me lots of hours with a handful of modules with small (but synergistic) functions to realise that. But this decision is very much down to current personal direction, something which words alone cannot change.

For anyone on the fence, I reckon something semi/3 quarters modular like Doepfer dark energy or MFB stuff could be a good decision.
mizzdirekt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mizzdirekt »

.....and here I come. I'm not a huge fan of modular ...it's the fad right now because the young techno crowd has "discovered" it, but modular is the OLDEST type of synthesis. If you want to go modular, and especially if you are looking for the moog inspired stuff go http://www.synthesizers.com/systems.html . There are MANY types of modular formats to choose from, not just eurorack. I'm a keyboard musician, and thus prefer the all in one total package, don't do something just because someone told you to. DON'T take this personally stevio as I think you are a nice guy and I'm not trying to start sh!t with you, but I just disagree with almost all your methodology; hey we are all individuals, and these kids should find their own way. The muff site is owned buy analoguehaven and is meant to promote products for sale. Think about it.
mizzdirekt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mizzdirekt »

Oh yeah, I would go for the prophet 08 pot edition, but that's me.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

mizzdirekt wrote:.....and here I come. I'm not a huge fan of modular ...it's the fad right now because the young techno crowd has "discovered" it, but modular is the OLDEST type of synthesis. If you want to go modular, and especially if you are looking for the moog inspired stuff go http://www.synthesizers.com/systems.html . There are MANY types of modular formats to choose from, not just eurorack. I'm a keyboard musician, and thus prefer the all in one total package, don't do something just because someone told you to. DON'T take this personally stevio as I think you are a nice guy and I'm not trying to start sh!t with you, but I just disagree with almost all your methodology; hey we are all individuals, and these kids should find their own way. The muff site is owned buy analoguehaven and is meant to promote products for sale. Think about it.
it's gaining popularity, it's true. but as long as people are attracted by the philosphy and incredible designs, and not the bright lights, then it's no issue. It's been such a revelation to me that I would feel rude not to say anything about it.

i don't really buy into the muffwiggler analoguehaven conspiracy. maybe there's a connection.. but Shawn is a very friendly guy with good prices (and willing to invest in independent developers) and MW is a really fantastic community.

I think keyboards held back the progression of electronic sounds, but that's just me.
mizzdirekt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mizzdirekt »

Well, that's pretty punk rock, and I can respect that obli...at least it's your own opinion. The tequila is getting to me now, as it's kind of late where am...I'll check back later. Muff s the analog site...just so you know.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

mizzdirekt wrote:.....and here I come. I'm not a huge fan of modular ...it's the fad right now because the young techno crowd has "discovered" it, but modular is the OLDEST type of synthesis. If you want to go modular, and especially if you are looking for the moog inspired stuff go http://www.synthesizers.com/systems.html . There are MANY types of modular formats to choose from, not just eurorack. I'm a keyboard musician, and thus prefer the all in one total package, don't do something just because someone told you to. DON'T take this personally stevio as I think you are a nice guy and I'm not trying to start sh!t with you, but I just disagree with almost all your methodology; hey we are all individuals, and these kids should find their own way. The muff site is owned buy analoguehaven and is meant to promote products for sale. Think about it.
you say some strange things bro, whats this methodology you disagree with ?
i'm trying to help by giving info from my experiences for anyone who might be able to use it. the OP asked a question, and i fealt i was at least partially qualified to answer it as i have two of the three pieces of kit he was asking about, do you ?

i'm not trying to start sh!t with you either, but why the attitude ?, i think it is well known that modular synthesis is the OLDEST form of synthesis, it's been discussed many times on this forum.
you seem to think you are talking to a bunch of kids, well i know many of the guys on here personally, and we arent all kids, there's a mixture of ages, amounts of experience etc. and some of the youngest ones are the most clued up, and i dont think the people who are into the new modular stuff are particularly a young techno crowd, i'm not actually hearing much techno coming out of the 'scene' which is mostly noise based, and theres plenty of older guys involved.

the reason why eurorack modular has become popular is because its relatively cheap and compact when compared to the designs that many of the modules were based on, the Buchla, Serge and Moog stuff, and its making something that was once inaccesible to most of us available, and there is a huge surge in new designs which are incorporating digital and analogue technology.
its not a fad, i've wanted a modular synth for years but could only dream of affording it, now that its feasible it's opened up a whole new way of making music for me and i'm understandibly excited by the prosopect.

i have to say that the whole muffwiggler conspiracy theory thing is a laugh, come on bro its a forum, you can take or leave anything on there, if its an analogue haven promo site, it didnt work on me, i live in the UK, ive never bought anything from AH in my life, but the site was very useful in determining the various modules ive bought, because everyone is so obsessed on there, every last little detail is drooled over, discussed to anal lengths, that if you dont like what a module does when you buy it, you've got no excuse.

i dont take anything personal, ever, but i dont understand why you have to come steaming in having a go, when you could just as easily make your point and leave it at that, and what is your point ? that techno heads should be making their music on keyboards and ignoring the roots of electronic music ? i cant think of anything more un-techno, but thats just me.
mizzdirekt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mizzdirekt »

I had some fun on a basic doepfer modular...nothing as big as yours...but my butt is making the same noises this morning for free. I missed my keyboard. I didn't come in to have a go, I came and checked this place out hoping to find out where all the techno producers where hiding, and see what new was going on in the scene. I found that these days everyone gets to validate themselves because of the anonymity of the internet, whether they know what's going on or not. Every ones' a superstar cause there are no musical examples to be found. I guess musical taste is a preference, but there is a lot of the same thing going on ... over, and over, and over, and over, and over... It's like banging my head on a wall. Guess I'm just not into what you guys are doing, cause as far as I can hear, you guys haven't figured out that you only need one voice to be musical if you can play a tune. I'll leave you be now. till the next tequila night anyway! I do like you as a person steevio. peaces.