analog and digital

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Gill wrote:
tone-def wrote:
steevio wrote: i think we're all musicians, i'm not sure i even like the term producer, sounds like we're all growing cabbages or something.
i think we're composers, musicians, programmers and mix engineers first. the producers job is to get the best performance out of the performers and to turn someone else's song into a record. i don't think producers are really relevant in most electronic music.
Yeah, but producer to me, is the one who wrangles in ideas, traditionally those of the band/musician, and turns them into something complete. That is why I like that term with electronic producers; anyone can twiddle with knobs (there are plenty of youtube videos of 2 year olds playing with nice synths and drum machines), but the fun is turning the sound exploration into something musical and complete.
yeah but where's the band? the producer takes the bands songs (ideas) and makes them into records. where as a composer writes and arranges everything, which is what most of us do.
Gill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gill »

tone-def wrote:
Gill wrote:
tone-def wrote:
steevio wrote: i think we're all musicians, i'm not sure i even like the term producer, sounds like we're all growing cabbages or something.
i think we're composers, musicians, programmers and mix engineers first. the producers job is to get the best performance out of the performers and to turn someone else's song into a record. i don't think producers are really relevant in most electronic music.
Yeah, but producer to me, is the one who wrangles in ideas, traditionally those of the band/musician, and turns them into something complete. That is why I like that term with electronic producers; anyone can twiddle with knobs (there are plenty of youtube videos of 2 year olds playing with nice synths and drum machines), but the fun is turning the sound exploration into something musical and complete.
yeah but where's the band? the producer takes the bands songs (ideas) and makes them into records. where as a composer writes and arranges everything, which is what most of us do.

Yeah, but sitting around playing with wierd samples, effects, found sounds, etc., is kind of similar to me, because you don't always know what's going to happen; sometimes you're just turning knobs.

So, producing is, to me, the ability to say, "yah, thats good", or "yah, that fits".

all those words fit
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Gill wrote:
So, producing is, to me, the ability to say, "yah, thats good", or "yah, that fits".
but don't bands do that when their writing music?

what about the great classical composers? do you think they had a producer to telling them "yeah, Wagner, we're just rearrange the Ride of the Valkyries because it just don't fit" :)
Gill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gill »

tone-def wrote:
Gill wrote:
but don't bands do that when their writing music?

what about the great classical composers? do you think they had a producer to telling them "yeah, Wagner, we're just rearrange the Ride of the Valkyries because it just don't fit" :)
I'm pretty sure the main theme of Ride of the Valkyries was sampled off a Beethoven B-side, and the exposition is a backwards midi part from Bach's remix of the legend of zelda. :lol:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

On the subject of analogue and digital I've just been reading this interview with a theremin player Clara Rockmore. Some of what she says seems very relevant to some of the differences that I feel might be between analogue and digitial approaches.

http://www.thereminvox.com/article/articleview/21/1/1/

It's worth looking at some of her videos on youtube as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSzTPGlN ... re=related
widdly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by widdly »

How so?

Clara seems to be very conservative musically despite playing the spaciest of instruments. She talks about "real music" meaning of course the western classical tradition.

It's interesting if you watch that documentary about the BBC radiophonic workshop. The tape musicians there hated the analog synthesizers when they came out. They wouldn't stay in tune and were meant to make any sound possible but it all ended up sounding the same. The tunes from the tape era definitely sound more organic and interesting, at least to me. It shows that you make the best music and the gear you are most comfortable with. On that note, I'm aiming to be more of a producer of music and less of a consumer of music production equipment.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

We are all consumers of music production equipment but you say it like it's a bad thing. For the electronic musician and indeed any musician, it's part and parcel of the 'game'. That's probably the strangest statement i have read on a music discussion board but im assuming you mean something like, 'starting out making music and then becoming a collector of gear'?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

nakoradiomies wrote:
DX7 for gnarling filter sweeps and bubbling acidic tones
why not?
Because analog lends itself to those sounds a lot better, simple as that. :?