How some crappy labels (owners) think?

- ask away
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

steevio wrote:a label isnt about making money, its about being part of something, buzzing off your mates, co-creation, and the journey.
happy new year :)
Amen.
Each year I put thousands of euros in my label, spend lots on mastering, promo, vinyl, events, you name it. And it might take a serious chunk out of my money, but when I get home after two days at Tomorrowland festival with a stage with only our artists, or you get fresh vinyl in, or you get support from your musical heroes... it's worth the trip and the dough :)

I think as long as artists and label are realistic in their expectations, music can still be awesome. Although I must say - in regards to the digital labels topic- that I'm going towards vinyl this year more and more as I'm fed up seeing hundreds of blogs sharing the release the day after we whack it on Beatport. I know vinyl gets ripped too, but most blogs are lazy cunts who won't bother as much. ;)

To the guy that opened the topic: steer away from those people, there are plenty of labels that DO take it seriously.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

our vinyl only label was up on the blogs straight away. my release was up before the release date, so we knocked it on the head as you can't continue to lose money. its such a shame that there are these people out there that continue upload music when sales are so small. if you like something I dont get why they cant just spend 1.99 on Beatport and support the labels/artists.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

::BLM:: wrote:our vinyl only label was up on the blogs straight away. my release was up before the release date, so we knocked it on the head as you can't continue to lose money. its such a shame that there are these people out there that continue upload music when sales are so small. if you like something I dont get why they cant just spend 1.99 on Beatport and support the labels/artists.
Word.

I don't understand how can a vinyl only release can be released illegaly on mp3 before the release date... You probably have someone in your promo list who does that kind of thing!?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

LouisVee wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:our vinyl only label was up on the blogs straight away. my release was up before the release date, so we knocked it on the head as you can't continue to lose money. its such a shame that there are these people out there that continue upload music when sales are so small. if you like something I dont get why they cant just spend 1.99 on Beatport and support the labels/artists.
Word.

I don't understand how can a vinyl only release can be released illegaly on mp3 before the release date... You probably have someone in your promo list who does that kind of thing!?
theres an easy way round that - dont have a promo list !

i gave up with promo lists about 10 years ago, and just give my unreleased vinyl to close friends and assoiciates who would never dream of doing that.

my label has been in hibernation for 3 years, but its going to be back up and running this year, and its going to be vinyl only, very limited numbers, the after a month or so, i'm going to give away the mp3s.

i've given up trying to make a living from music sales, running events, and gigging is the only way to survive now - for me that is.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

has nothing to do with promo as we did no promo on the vinyl only label. its the record shops... they get pre release copies from the distrubuter and sell them to the mugs who upload them. either that or someone in the record shops are doing it.

promo is only essential now if you're doing digital steevio so your best staying away from it if your plan is to simply do vinyl. we dont do vinyl promo, just digital promo 2 weeks before the beatport release to make sure the selected dj's are charting it in their beatport charts as it works wonders for sales.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

::BLM:: wrote:its the record shops... they get pre release copies from the distrubuter and sell them to the mugs who upload them. either that or someone in the record shops are doing it.
That's weird and pathetic that someone who actually spend money to buy your vinyl and then rip it... wtf?!
If he receive the promo mp3 release, he would just upload it on rapidshare, that's easy...
But now the guy have to go to the record shop, pays 15$, get home, put the vinyl on his turntables, connect it to the computer, record it, rename everything and then upload it. For what reason? to get known for his blog? to make teenage friends on some torrent site? Crazy world we live in.

And if it's the record shop, they are shooting in their own foot... that's weird. Must be an employee who doesn't give a damn about his own shop...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:has nothing to do with promo as we did no promo on the vinyl only label. its the record shops... they get pre release copies from the distrubuter and sell them to the mugs who upload them. either that or someone in the record shops are doing it.
maybe have a word with your distributor about it.

with kompakt i only send them what they have already pre-sold, they dont get any vinyl before that. in which case it could only be shops passing on the demo mp3s or wavs.
you should be able to tell whether its copied from vinyl or not.

maybe distributors should watermark the demo mp3s they send to shops, like boomkat do on their site (bloody annoying though).
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

LouisVee wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:its the record shops... they get pre release copies from the distrubuter and sell them to the mugs who upload them. either that or someone in the record shops are doing it.
That's weird and pathetic that someone who actually spend money to buy your vinyl and then rip it... wtf?!
If he receive the promo mp3 release, he would just upload it on rapidshare, that's easy...
But now the guy have to go to the record shop, pays 15$, get home, put the vinyl on his turntables, connect it to the computer, record it, rename everything and then upload it. For what reason? to get known for his blog? to make teenage friends on some torrent site? Crazy world we live in.

And if it's the record shop, they are shooting in their own foot... that's weird. Must be an employee who doesn't give a damn about his own shop...
its crazy but it does happen, i've found stuff of mine on sites that is straight off the vinyl crackles and all.
if its from a big vinyl only label, or from older labels that were never released digitally, its probably quite lucrative.