Roland SH 101 repair question??

- ask away
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

pafufta816 wrote:you would have a bad azz setup for probably the same price or less right?
ive been thinking a lot lately about going the modular route with my next serious gear purchases. i wouldnt really know where to begin though.
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

i'll start in the modular synthesis thread, :lol: 8)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:
JayRP wrote:thats the point, im not trying to pay 800 for one. the most i would pay is *MAYBE* 600, after shipping, lol

i dunno. i feel i make pretty good basses with my prophet 08. so maybe i dont even really need this 101?..
the SH101 eats the Prophet 08 for breakfast in the bass zone.e
could never get particularly nice basses out of my P 08.
nor me. its the only thing i cant get out of the prophet.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

pafufta816 wrote:
Casanova808 wrote:There is so much new analog stuff on the market I don't see why people would pay "vintage" prices for old synths. They might have mojo, but they cost too much now. I would have to sell a lot of records in order to buy a 101.

What I would like to see is a module based off of the 101 sequencer. You really can't beat that sequencer for building simple riffs. You could have a lot of fun if you combined something like that with the Europa sequencer sending trig out .
you could totally build something of similar awesomeness to the 101 from a modular rig. combine with computer controlled sequencing! you would have a bad azz setup for probably the same price or less right?
you could do something similar with about 8 modules ?, but the price of case + power supply + bussboards would push it up nearer the £1000 mark minimum, thats a really rough guess.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

you could do something similar with about 8 modules ?, but the price of case + power supply + bussboards would push it up nearer the £1000 mark minimum, thats a really rough guess.
That is true, but you would have the peace of mind knowing that you are working with new kit. Plus, you get a modular synth out of the deal. :)

The old stuff is great and if it cost half as much I would be all over it, but the idea of paying top dollar for gear that will be costly and difficult to repair just isn't very appealing. I need to spend my tiny amount of music time making music, not sourcing unobtainium and poking around with a soldering iron.

I am not knocking the 101, I have had a couple over the years and they are great units. I just can't bring myself to spend 800-1000usd on one that may or may not have problems. If I could find one for 450-500usd I would be all over it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

unobtanium and soldering irons have their place! soldering can be a very valuable skill, and the way components are made, sometimes a specific period of technology far surpasses that from another era and it's wort tracking down the best tool that is possible.

The price of an sh101 would go quite far with modular.

Not lightyears of difference, becuase modular guys don't have the same economy of scale that Roland did. But quality, interface and character are to be found in very large quantities. The costs down the line from serviceability would be much less w/ modular also.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Casanova808 wrote:There is so much new analog stuff on the market I don't see why people would pay "vintage" prices for old synths. They might have mojo, but they cost too much now. I would have to sell a lot of records in order to buy a 101.

What I would like to see is a module based off of the 101 sequencer. You really can't beat that sequencer for building simple riffs. You could have a lot of fun if you combined something like that with the Europa sequencer sending trig out .
there are plenty of ways to sequence in modular in a similar way to the SH101, but way more versatile and expandable.
if you added that to the mix and did away with the computer sequencing you'd be looking at maybe £1200 for a small modular that can do what the 101 does but way more flexible, future proof, expandable and fun.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

steevio wrote:

there are plenty of ways to sequence in modular in a similar way to the SH101, but way more versatile and expandable.
if you added that to the mix and did away with the computer sequencing you'd be looking at maybe £1200 for a small modular that can do what the 101 does but way more flexible, future proof, expandable and fun.
with LADSPA and jack in linux, or puredata/maxmsp you can do anything with sequencing that modular can do. and if you already own a computer you don't have to spend that much on a sequencer.