Claude VonStroke - Who's afraid of Reason?

- ask away
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

royen wrote:Well, first of all, I don't think the idea behind the Artist stories is "Reason is the only software you need" but rather "these 'professional' guys use Reason when they produce". It doesn't matter to Propellerhead if the artists they interview use Reason exclusively or as part of a larger setup: if (say) Claude Von Stroke can convince some of you guys that Reason is excellent for sequencing samples then thats a couple of potential sold copies of Reason.
this is also true...
D4RKFORCE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by D4RKFORCE »

I am an only Reason producer too!

We are a huge number of only Reason producers, really! :)
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

D4RKFORCE wrote:I am an only Reason producer too!

maybe it is becouse it is easier to get? less expensive? anybody with a computer can produce?...

maybe that is why it is under rated...?

what do you think?
(i do use reason also btw)
D4RKFORCE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by D4RKFORCE »

isaaclevy wrote:

maybe it is becouse it is easier to get? less expensive? anybody with a computer can produce?...

what do you think?

Well, nowadays Logic and Reason have similar price isnt' it? I think is not a question of the price... Maybe Reason is under rated for some people because the first version was too limited. The same happens with Fruity Loops; it started being a very simple program, but nowadays is a very good one :D

Reason has his handicaps, but is a very good software to use in combination with others or alone....In addition, nobody really cares or questions wich software has used the producer when buys a vinyl/ mp3 :lol:
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

D4RKFORCE wrote:
isaaclevy wrote:

what do you think?

Well, nowadays Logic and Reason have similar price isnt' it? I think is not a question of the price... Maybe Reason is under rated for some people because the first version was too limited. The same happens with Fruity Loops; it started being a very simple program, but nowadays is a very good one :D

Reason has his handicaps, but is a very good software to use in combination with others or alone....In addition, nobody really cares or questions wich software has used the producer when buys a vinyl/ mp3 :lol:
true...
alexx.wolfe
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by alexx.wolfe »

I only use reason also...nice to see that so many guys in here use it also (:
http://www.myspace.com/alexxwolfe

http://www.myspace.com/suigenerizrecords

IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE FREE SONGS AND UPDATED NEWSLETTER FROM OUR RECORD LABEL, JUST GO TO OUR MYSPACE PAGE AND SUBSCRIBE TO OR NEWSLETTER
williecleveland
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by williecleveland »

wow incredible is all i can say. love the part where he says i have no idea how i did this but it came out perfect lol. nice post!
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I want to create really warm synth sounds

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

::BLM:: wrote:I have to say he is such a boring chap. That interview really bored me.
Shadi Megallaa wrote:haha seriously.. i'm with Ben.. watched it at work, was so boring, work was more fun :shock:
Admit it! What you really dont like is that he wasn't some anorexic european homosexual talking down to you while making obscure references, name dropping and pushing a bunch of quasi artistic minimal fluff in your direction. :P

Its nice to see that there are people in the world of techno that are successful, happy about it and don't feel the need to present themselves like pretentious fops imbued with an unholy aura of narcissism.

I think Reason is a great program. The samplers are great. The advanced sampler lets you all kinds of interesting things. I like to experiement with layering sounds of different lengths to create really unique pads that evolve over time in ways that you just can't reproduce with a single synth. Its also interesting to load up a whole bunch of different drum kicks then automate the levels of each one to create an evolution in the drums.

I like everything about reason except the filters. I never quite get the kind of warmth that I want from them. Sometimes I want to reproduce that warm dubby filtered delay that you hear in older dub music but the sound is never right. I think its because the equipment used back then was not as clear as kind of stuff that is availiable today. Its like when you play something through an old tube amp. You just can't reproduce that kind of imperfection.

I want to create really warm synth sounds but it eludes me and leaves frustrated sometimes.

For those of you that haven't check it out read this sticky thread in netlabels setions and download the first track - Decoside.-.Storm.Slowly

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38349

I love the sound of that synth. It reminds me of the kind of sound that I used love. I might be getting the track wrong but I think I am thinking of Break in at Apartment 205... I dont know if its that one but I think its on that record.

I would like to see them come up with a device similar to the Scream Distruction Unit but instead it would mimic a variety of old amps or old imperfect filters / delays.

Reason is great peice of software though. I know of a few musicians who use it that do not produce anything even close to dance music. They make music that is kind of Avant-garde but maybe not at this junction. They make music that is kind of a cross between world music and a style that is similar to The Dead Can Dance. Granted they are using a lot of other software, instruments and equipment other then reason but if you were to hear it you would never guess that Reason even had a bit part in the process.

You just can't beat reason in a lot of areas though. Like who could afford to buy 15 samplers just to make one song. Very few. Add in the routing capabilities, detailed automation and you have something that is pretty hard to beat in my opinion.