help me first gear to buy

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
Spurn wrote:but yeah steevio thats pretty much what i thought.
i asked the question because i want to get an analog mixer and do mix downs out of the box and like many of us i want an allen and heath zed r16 and its not so much that i cant afford it (they dropped in price a bit recently and also i can get one from a site where i make payments, though it still would be a stretch) but moreso the question i have to pose myself is if this something i really NEED at the moment? ive only been "producing" (if i could even consider myself a producer) for only about 7-8 months now. i have so SO MUCH to learn and while it would be nice to have the high end stuff i know i would want in the future i wonder to myself if id even know what to do with it. but then also its like well ok once i DO know how to use it id already have that high end sh*t id want.
imo the zed r16 is more a luxury than something you really need. your only just got your first synth so why do you need 16 inputs? there are plenty of other things for that money that will have a much bigger impact on your music. i was considering it for a while and decided there are too many good things about mixing ITB (total recall, more channels, better routing, faster workflow, takes up less space). i'm much rather spend all my money on synths and analog filters. much more fun!
i think youre right to an extent, but they all go hand in hand, the more hardware you get, the more you need an anlogue mixer imo.

it was one of the first things i ever bought, i simply couldnt work with a ITB mixer, its just not the same, for me an analogue mixer is absolutely essential, but if you've only got one synth, maybe its not the first thing on the list.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

yeah they have the conversion kit for the rack also.

pretty sure about the dead voices. i bought it used off ebay, it worked fine the first few weeks and then a few weeks ago i noticed voices 3 + 4 werent working. was hoping it was temporary or something i was over looking but im certain now theyre dead. im not too upset tho, im working around it for the time being and i know DSI support is excellent, i hear theyll fix the voices for free. i just need to send them my voice board. im going to soon, i just dont wanna part with it, i just got the damn thing! lol.

about the zed tone, youre right, i totally dont need the 16 ins just yet.
actually, i have a question for you as well as i know you have a vermona drm1. i just got one which is on its way, cant wait to use the thing. is the output on that just one channel or can each drum channel have its own separate output? because if the second is the case thats what i'd want, to output each drum sound to its own channel on the zed and then eq there and record to my daw.

edit: oh to clarify i have the mk3 on its way. not sure which you have mk2 or 3. i dunno how they differ aside from the 'kick' channel.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

sorry to interrupt but do atleast the item descriptions when you by them?
its all about the rhythm
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Spurn wrote: about the zed tone, youre right, i totally dont need the 16 ins just yet.
actually, i have a question for you as well as i know you have a vermona drm1. i just got one which is on its way, cant wait to use the thing. is the output on that just one channel or can each drum channel have its own separate output? because if the second is the case thats what i'd want, to output each drum sound to its own channel on the zed and then eq there and record to my daw.
yeah it's got 8 individual outs for each sound. the zed starts to make more sense now your getting one of those. i've only got 2 in and 2 out from my computer and it's a pain in the ass plugging and unplugging everything all the time. i can't afford £1500 so i'll probably get a patch bay.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

steevio wrote:you do know that the encoders have accelerators dont you ?

crud, i hate showing my noobness,
but i dont exactly know what you mean when you say they have accelerators. please explain.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Spurn wrote:
steevio wrote:you do know that the encoders have accelerators dont you ?

crud, i hate showing my noobness,
but i dont exactly know what you mean when you say they have accelerators. please explain.
dont worry i was a prophet noob when i first bought mine.

when you turn the encoders faster they accelerate so you can do the full sweep in one 360 turn, or if you turn more slowly it can take 4 turns to do the full sweep. it takes a bit of getting used to, but i dont mind it so much now.
still, i'd rather have pots anyday
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

oh ok. yeah but even still sometimes i barely move an encoder and it just shoots up the value. its another common problem ive read up on but i hear its an easy fix with that deoxit stuff. gotta get me some of that too.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Spurn wrote:wow. havent checked the thread in some time.
definitely a lot of info/advice given, esp. by you Hades, so thanks.

but yeah steevio thats pretty much what i thought.
i asked the question because i want to get an analog mixer and do mix downs out of the box and like many of us i want an allen and heath zed r16 and its not so much that i cant afford it (they dropped in price a bit recently and also i can get one from a site where i make payments, though it still would be a stretch) but moreso the question i have to pose myself is if this something i really NEED at the moment? ive only been "producing" (if i could even consider myself a producer) for only about 7-8 months now. i have so SO MUCH to learn and while it would be nice to have the high end stuff i know i would want in the future i wonder to myself if id even know what to do with it. but then also its like well ok once i DO know how to use it id already have that high end sh*t id want.

i can often be incredibly indecisive :)
I don't think you need this now in your setup.
if you'll be needing it later simply depends on how you work.
if you find yourself using hardware mostly, then it's always a good idea to have a mixer.
if you mostly work with software and only 1 or 2 synths, then you're better of with just a patchbay and simple soundcard. (simple = only 2 ins and 2 outs, not talking sound quality or price here, only ins and outs)

when I started building the studio, I was a hardware only person, (and softsynths were pretty much crap only in those days), so I figured after a year or two (and having aquired about 2 or 3 synths), that I'd be having about 8 synths in total if I wanted my dream setup.
so I got myself a Soundcraft FX16 used.
it costed me 350 and a trip to Amsterdam to fetch it (not that the mrs minded :P )
back then I thought that was a great find, cause they were selling them new for 1200. now they can be had new for a lot less I think.
one channel got smoked a while ago, and a few weeks ago my sub outs quit working, but other than that, it's been serving me fine for all these years.

It's kind of a half joke half wisdom thing amongst homestudio owners to say that you should count the maximum number of channels that you need, and then double that amount to know how many channels you'll eventually be needing. :lol:

there is some truth to that because you'll always be needing more gear than you thought, or at least you'll always be getting more gear than you thought.
whether or not you actually need it all is something else of course, but anyways...

The whole doubling channels thing isn't really that necessary, in my opinion, cause you don't need channels for each piece of kit that you own, really.
If you hook up a patchbay (or two), and use a soundcard with multiple ins and outs, you don't need that many channels in your mixer.

When asking yourself "how many ins and outs do I need on my soundcard?", the sensible answer they'll probably give you is "you'll need as many ins and outs as the number of instruments you'll be recording simultaniously."
In other words : if you record maximum 2 synths at the same time, you need 4 ins and outs if both synths are stereo.
If one is mono, you'll need 3 in theory, but your ins and outs always come in pairs I think, so that'll never the case, I'm just giving this as an example.
If you record 2 synths and one person singing, you need 5 (so really 6)
and so on....
the key point is "recording simultaniously"
why ? cause otherwise you just put a mixer inbetween, or even just a patchbay, and you can just pick the instrument you're recording at that moment and hook it up to your 2 ins of your soundcard.

Nowadays I've still got the soundcraft wit 16 channels, a soundcard with 8 ins and outs, and 2 patchbay's.
This works more than fine for me. and it gives me flexibility.
I can always add more hardware, and I have "workaround" options in case of trouble.
Normally I used to record by putting the sub outs to a pair of ins on my soundcard, but since the subs (sub out) got blown, I just hooked up some outs of the patchbay to some ins on my soundcard and I was set to record again.
I don't really like it, but it'll do for the time being untill the subs get repaired.

anyways, what I was trying to say is :

only a few synths and you're not gonna record stuff simultaniously ?
you can do fine with just a patchbay and simple soundcard.

gonna record more than one synth at a time ? get a soundcard with more ins and outs. and get a patchbay as well, the things are cheap and very useful, they make any kind of setup more flexible.

you get more and more synths and want to monitor (listen to) them at the same time without having to turn on your computer all the time ? get a mixer.

apologies if it all sounds a bit complicated,
it isn't really, but they haven't left me alone here at work (I spent 3 hours typing this bloody post), and if they keep on interrupting me I seem to have trouble explaining a simple thing.

If you're fairly new, I think it's a good idea to wait a bit and see how you work (software and/or hardware).
if you're keeping things small, then you'll probably do fine with a patchbay and soundcard.
If you go bigger and need a mixer, then think about the extra flexibility extra ins and outs on your soundcard + a patchbay give you.
And it's always a good idea to have flexibility and some spare breathing place for future use.

I bought a soundcard with 8 ins and outs from the start, but never used them much untill the last 2 years or so. But I'm happy I got the extra ins and outs. And with the extra patchbay's I'm very well set for any future add-ons.