analogue and digital FM. differences/ similarities

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

@A.K post a couple above.

music is way funny.

like you get people who listen to really horrible chart music who say that anything vaguely different is not music. they're completely conditioned into this group mentality... or maybe they're happier with non challening micro attention span music.

and you get tuning purists who would probably turn their noses up to certain pieces of music becuase a certain interval wasn't completely mathematically perfect.

and at the same time you get microtonalists who change everything to get it out of tune... like squashing octaves so everything is a bit off, and exploring tuning ratios of really large numbers.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:By the way, the fifth tuning thing is not 12tet, its pythagorean and will produce a wolf fifth higher up, without going too OT, the only snag Id see about 432 tuning is that, by saying its 'pure', it seems counterproductive to use it in 12tet, which isnt pure and in fact quite dissonant to the ears of just intonation purists. I know its old, ancient greeks used it but im guessing it wasnt in 12tet.
bro i think we're going round in circles, i thought the point was that you wanted to get away from 12 tet, its the whole reason i'm posting all this shizz matey.

i work harmonically, i often dont even know what 12 tet notes i'm using, or approximating too, if youre not using a keyboard and tuning oscillators by ear, you are leaving 12 tet way behind.

i can see we are almost on the same wavelength, (just a few cents out]

ouch
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

good thread btw!

mnml production forum isn't completely dead after all.

with the tuning thing i mentioned above, it's kinda funny. btw i'm not aiming my comments at anyone here... i just think it's quite funny how things can be.

@ steevio. more analogies like that and i'l be a happy chappy. ha ha.

12tET is definitely shitty... but its a lot of a fighting battle to get away from it. approximately 1% of machine designers even consider the possiblity of it, and an even smaller % allow you to use non12tET in their designs.

My next musical purchase is gonna be a simple quantizer /sequencer that you set by hand. If the machine is done right I reckon that'll be where i'm at for tuning.

I also think, like has been mentioned, the tuning aspect, like setting notes on a virtual keyboard, is only 1/3 of the story. Working with timbre, waveshapes, frequency modulation gives you a really vast tonal pallet to play with, which can be far more affecting than really going crazy about tonality in a conventional sense.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:approximately 1% of machine designers even consider the possiblity of it, and an even smaller % allow you to use non12tET in their designs.
The Virus C has pure tuning, and you can set it so that it is either 12 tet or pure and anything in between. pure tuning can sound wrong to western ears due to our indoctrination from birth, so the inbetween settings are a good starting point.

The Nord 3 has tuning by partials as part of their FM system, its one of the reasons i used to swear by Nords till i went modular. i did all my percussion on the Nord for the last 5 or 6 years so that i could work in harmonics.

must STFU and go drill some holes.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote: My next musical purchase is gonna be a simple quantizer /sequencer that you set by hand. If the machine is done right I reckon that'll be where i'm at for tuning.
why did you sell your A155 bro ?

thats exactly what that is.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

steevio wrote: are you the only other person on this forum who thinks sidechaining is BS ?
Nah man, I think side chaining the kick and bass is bull too. I do side chain on occasion but, it's for effect.

This is a good thread. To answer a question posted way back, I use the exponential fm input for cv notes from my sequencer and the linear input for envelopes and lfo's. Audio rate waves can go in either for cool effects.

My new favorite effect is my ring modulator I built a few weekends ago. Totally wicked tones from this thing.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote: My next musical purchase is gonna be a simple quantizer /sequencer that you set by hand. If the machine is done right I reckon that'll be where i'm at for tuning.
why did you sell your A155 bro ?

thats exactly what that is.
not enough celtic knotwork for me.

honest answer!

ha ha but seriously.... Wiard is totally it for me. I know it seems mental, but I've really considered every other possibility. Used modules, read manuals. Properly considered things.

rene gives me too much of a headache. pressure points isn't right.

doepfer is theoretically perfect, but it just doesn't do it for me. can't explain it really.

whereas Wiard was actually designed exactly for me via some strange glitch in universal matrix. ha ha. Completely hands on. Exactly the right functionality. no pissing around. More personality than you can shake a stick at, tiny little attentions to detail that put a massive smile across my face. love it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote: ha ha but seriously.... Wiard is totally it for me. I know it seems mental, but I've really considered every other possibility. Used modules, read manuals. Properly considered things.
but they dont make what you described.

doepfer is properly modular, you make what you want out of modules which do exactly what it says on the tin.
might not be sexy, but gets you there in the end.

could alwyas put nicer knobs on, and paint your own celtic knotwork haha.

anyways thats another subject