about cdj 800 , how much it sucks and some noob questions!

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I also think the 1$ extra per file is a bit too much, and I am also missing the discount when buying a complete 3-4-5 track release, would be nice to see this on Beatport.
On the other hand, they often have various offers like 20-25% discount on your whole crate, a certain amount of tracks from a label or genre on discount and so on.

But of course they could be better, agreed.
But I fully understand a certain amount of extra charge for the more date that needs to be transferred.

EDIT: the 1$ is put into the account, so the label/artist also gains a bit from this.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

no guys its a rip off nothing else.

and @bateman so if beatport sales WAV the artist gets more? now i believe even stronger that its a rip off.

i have a rapidshare account, you can buy there 1000 GB Traffic for 30 €

so lets do the math.
after 30 downloads from beatport the extra traffic is payed for.
30 * 80 MB = 2,4 GB used traffic.

and that is rapidshare not a single big company would host theire stuff there, the big players get there traffic for much less.

Traffic doesnt even matter ... we dont live 10 years ago.
and before someone says it, also storage doesnt matter. acctually even less than traffic.

@chris
the prize of a good has not always to do something with the production costs.
if people pay 5 € for wav beatport would charge 5 €, the production costs dont matter at all in this scenario.
they charge it, cause people pay it, because people think beatport deserves it.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

it's easy to hear that you have no clue about what traffic and hosting cost for big companies like Beatport etc. Period :)

When you buy a 30euro account at Rapidshare, they know you're not going to use all 1000gb (and it's only 150gb according to their website for the rapidshare pro account, plus 50gb storage). So they earn tons of money of people buying products that they don't use to the fullest.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

the absurd thing about the pricing of WAV's is that it exceeds the cost of many cd's. i could buy a physical copy of an album on CD and rip them to WAV for cheaper than beatport will sell the WAV's to me. i find this totally rediculous. luckily most online shops aren't buttholes like beatport and don't charge as much.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

pafufta816 wrote:the absurd thing about the pricing of WAV's is that it exceeds the cost of many cd's. i could buy a physical copy of an album on CD and rip them to WAV for cheaper than beatport will sell the WAV's to me. i find this totally rediculous. luckily most online shops aren't buttholes like beatport and don't charge as much.
Well, gives you options, not a bad thing ;)
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

no patrick sorry you dont know about traffic and rapidshare.

rapidshare is a hoster for companys aswell, its hard at first look to see what they charge for traffic cause they have a fucked up point system

for 30 euro you get an account for 6 month with 150 GB per / 30 days
you cant lose traffic on rapidshare so its 900 GB traffic over 6 month.

but if you have the account, you can buy as much extra traffic as you want. not limited by anything.

Rapidshare is not some little company who hope that the users doesnt use theire accounts to the limit.
its the biggest one click hoster in the world, you cant even imagine how much files they host.
and the last thing is, beatport isnt even a big player, they dont have special traffic needs, in the internet world thats a tiny company who hosts 20 mb files.

i only wanted to demonstrate that traffic is not the issue for a company like beatport.
traffic can be an issue for sites like wikipedia, or wikileaks who dont have an income.

if they charge 10 cent for wav extra, ok ! but 1 € thats insane ..
Last edited by Themis on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

and something what also comes to mind

itunes delivers their files in a lossless format i believe? im not sure?

and then with itunes gives you the possibility to convert it to what ever you want

wav - mp3 ..

so no one forces beatport to use a compression like mp3, they could also use flac or apple lossless codec.. and save much much traffic

you are forced to use the beatport downloader, they could put the convert abilities into the software. with one click you have your mp3s .. so its not that complicated.
Last edited by Themis on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefunnel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thefunnel »

Not to come off as a twat, but I work in a data center for a very large corporation--far bigger than Beatport--and also have my own hosting and websites. I know what it costs for bandwidth and storage--its not necessarily cheap, but at the Beatport scale, the price is a drop in the bucket. Its pennies on the dollar you pay for the WAV file.

Beatport is making shitloads of money, hand over fist, with just mp3 sales. WAVs are like Guitar Center or Best Buy selling you and extended warranty, i.e. pure profit.

And so are the other stores, including Bleep--but I'd wager Beatport gets the cheapest hosting rates of all the online stores due to economics of scale.

I'm not going to get into the morality of capitalism, blah blah...but it's silly...if Beatport--as a privately-held company--really cared about the electronic dance music community/scene/industry, it would offer the highest quality files for a minimal surcharge. And it would also offer fairer cuts to its labels, which I hear are rather dismal unless you're a big gun.