FFS it only took a day

- open
thefunnel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thefunnel »

pafufta816 wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
pafufta816 wrote: plus the music industry never even paid out livable wages to it's contracted artists
oh, really?
to be more specific, when i say the music industry i am referring to those labels who are succesful enough to lobby the RIAA. big business, corporate labels. i didn't actually mean to refer to smaller labels. even with these smaller labels i seriously doubt artists are making that much. DJ's wouldn't be touring/gigging so much if they were making good money on beatport sales/contract royalties. every RA interview i've read has some part in it, "i am so blessed to make music, but i have a real job on the side. even though you worship my music i still don't get to live on it."

specifically i am referring to nine inch nails and devo. both of whom, in numerous interviews, talk about how the companies approached them with contracts that in the end lost them money, or did not return any form of profit. trent reznor was so fed up with it he refuses to sign a contract again for fear of being fucked over again. the larger end of music industry is backwards in it's dealings, victimizes it's artists.

i've never in all my years of music love read a n interview that said "i just signed a record contract and it is a really great deal. now i will make money and be in control of my creativity! YAYYY for corporate record labels."
This is true as well. The corporate labels use the "poor, starving artist" argument constantly, when in fact, they are some of the most responsible for putting artists in the poor house and depriving them of their royalties. Time and time again the RIAA-affiliated labels are getting nailed by American, Canadian, and European courts for price fixing, misappropriating royalties, and infringing copyrights.

Also, I've even been fucked by labels on the small scale. It may have only been $50, but it was still my money for my work, that I never received.

Frankly, you're only safe if you're releasing your own sh!t, or dealing with the handful of true professionals in this industry. I wish more artists and labels would make their music available directly like UQ and FXHE.[/i]
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

pafufta816 wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
pafufta816 wrote: plus the music industry never even paid out livable wages to it's contracted artists
oh, really?
to be more specific, when i say the music industry i am referring to those labels who are succesful enough to lobby the RIAA. big business, corporate labels. i didn't actually mean to refer to smaller labels. even with these smaller labels i seriously doubt artists are making that much. DJ's wouldn't be touring/gigging so much if they were making good money on beatport sales/contract royalties. every RA interview i've read has some part in it, "i am so blessed to make music, but i have a real job on the side. even though you worship my music i still don't get to live on it."

specifically i am referring to nine inch nails and devo. both of whom, in numerous interviews, talk about how the companies approached them with contracts that in the end lost them money, or did not return any form of profit. trent reznor was so fed up with it he refuses to sign a contract again for fear of being fucked over again. the larger end of music industry is backwards in it's dealings, victimizes it's artists.

i've never in all my years of music love read a n interview that said "i just signed a record contract and it is a really great deal. now i will make money and be in control of my creativity! YAYYY for corporate record labels."
oh well oh well.
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

If a track is only available as an mp3 I grab it free on the net. For me, supporting vinyl is supporting music.

MP3 format is to the music industry what electric cars are to the oil industry.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

WillieSmalls wrote:MP3 format is to the music industry what electric cars are to the oil industry.
are you saying MP3s are the saviour of the planet and our environment?
the one thing that can pull us out of extinction?
the one thing that can save our souls?
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

pafufta816 wrote: is this bad, is it good? the only solution is a compromise. plus the music industry never even paid out livable wages to it's contracted artists, so we are seeing the decay of the music industry in tandem with the rise in piracy. piracy is not the sole reason the industry is failing, but a symptom of it.
I guess all those artists on MTV Cribs seriously got fucked over by the record companies. Yeah. I wish they would pay me such a hunger wage. I'd feel violated but I'm sure a ride with my ferrari would cure me right there. :roll:

What a load of bullshit. In every business there are 95% good ones and a layer of bad people and ripoffs. If Reznor would have stopped shooting up long enough to be sober enough to read his contract, I'm sure he would never have been in that position. There are tens of thousands of artists making a living off their music, please don't sit there and say that everyone gets screwed over by ALL labels.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

WillieSmalls wrote:If a track is only available as an mp3 I grab it free on the net. For me, supporting vinyl is supporting music.

So for every track you download, you first check to see if a vinyl has been released? And then you instead buy the vinyl?
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

psytox i did clarify that i meant major labels. read that part right?
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

jessejames wrote:
WillieSmalls wrote:If a track is only available as an mp3 I grab it free on the net. For me, supporting vinyl is supporting music.

So for every track you download, you first check to see if a vinyl has been released? And then you instead buy the vinyl?
Everytime.