small analog bassline synths...

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: small analog bassline synths...

Post by hydrogen »

After all this... i decided to go with the Lancet. Opuswerk and isaaclevy provided me with examples and the features seemed most comparable to the SH-101(I'll probably pick one up some day). Anyways, thanks for all your comments! I'll post some examples when I get some going.

Going to wait on the modular for a little while i guess.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

hydrogen wrote:
... the SH-101(I'll probably pick one up some day)...
you should.
I just picked mine up a week or two ago.
I should have gotten one years ago.
Such a great little synth with a huge sound.
a techno classic in every possible way.
And the lack of patch storage is not a problem at all since the features are so compact you'll remember soon enough how you made this or that sound.
Nice thing is that they are still fairly easy to find.
Yes, they are going up in price, but they are still worth every penny you pay for them, if you ask me.
I wanted a 2nd one from the moment I hooked mine up to some external FX.
I will get a 2nd one at some point, I'm sure.
And get one modded as well.
If anyone has any experience with modding an SH-101, please let me know.
I'll never do it myself. Not that it scares me to do it, but it's like making my own cables : I've said for way over 2 years I'd make my own, but never had the time to start doing it, so eventually bought all my cables and paid shitloads to recable the whole studio. (more than what I paid for my SH-101)
and life just got more complicated since then, so no way I'll find the time to dive into modding an SH-101.
oh well...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ive modded both my SH101s without damaging them in any way.

i turned the modulation input socket where you are supposed to plug the mod handle in, into an external input, its a really simple mod, just one resistor and a wire from the socket to a point on the PCB.

it means you can route an external signal to the filter,

unfortunately i did it so long ago, i cant remember how i did it, but i got the info off the internet, so it should be traceable, and also a mate of mine told me about it, so i'll ask him if he can remember how to do it,

and saving patches ? who needs it ?, people are too addicted to memory, use your own memory!, it only takes seconds to get a sound back with a simple synth like the SH101

its good to hear there's other people out there who get why the SH101 is so amazing, :D
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

nooooo.... maybe i should have got SH101!! :( :( :(
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

jeff try your mbase for the basslines. you machinedrum is perfect for sequencing mono synths. you can route the mbase right into the unbalanced input of your machinedrum and it will come out the other end at 600 ohms, just like a radial JDI
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

hydrogen wrote:nooooo.... maybe i should have got SH101!! :( :( :(
there are downsides as well. if you cant or afraid to to mods yourself, it will cost you to make those mods.
SH101 is old and hard to find spare parts if something breaks.
if your planning to use a DAW for sequencing than youll need a midi2cv converter to use midi with it.

that said, i had 101 in the past. cant say im that sorry for selling it as i got something im satisfied with instead. but if ill be able to afford another one in the future, ill definitely get one (still have the BSR for midi2cv convertion).
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

NoAffiliation wrote:jeff try your mbase for the basslines. you machinedrum is perfect for sequencing mono synths. you can route the mbase right into the unbalanced input of your machinedrum and it will come out the other end at 600 ohms, just like a radial JDI
Great idea! Will keep this one in mind... I got the machinedrum triggering from the octatrack. It's bad ass! Just need to rout the cc's... The only thing about the machine drum is you can't control note lengths but maybe with the cc's I can program
Extended decay triggers.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Stomper wrote:
hydrogen wrote:nooooo.... maybe i should have got SH101!! :( :( :(
there are downsides as well. if you cant or afraid to to mods yourself, it will cost you to make those mods.
SH101 is old and hard to find spare parts if something breaks.
if your planning to use a DAW for sequencing than youll need a midi2cv converter to use midi with it.

that said, i had 101 in the past. cant say im that sorry for selling it as i got something im satisfied with instead. but if ill be able to afford another one in the future, ill definitely get one (still have the BSR for midi2cv convertion).
well, no offence, but that's kind of logic, isn't it ?
that it will cost you money to have mods done if you're not doing it yourself.
It costs you money to get your car fixed if you don't fix it yourself.
but just for the record : there is absolutely no need to have an SH-101 modded.
It's a perfectly great synth without mods.
I'm just gonna get one modded at some point because it'll be even more fun afterwards. it's a great extra, but not a necessity.
and because the mods I've seen are actually in my opinion useful mods.
no offence to whoever is into all the extreme circuit-bending stuff, but the kind of extreme sounds that are mostly a result of that don't really interest me.
but looking at this site, most of the mods seem useful, to say the least : filter overdrive, more PWM modulation options, more LFO rates, VCF FM controls, VCF CV input,...
http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/synthmod/SH101.html

I still think that's a steal for the price you pay for it.