Where do you produce?

- ask away
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

this thread is perfect for a question I have.

I recently got a weekend job at a tow yard. 90% of the time I'm by myself doing NOTHING for 8-9hours just waiting for the phone to ring someone calling in a car illegally parked. I figured I'd take my laptop with me and have lots of time to work on tunes in Live. Despite all this "free" time, I can't get motivated to work just using a laptop. I usually end up wasting time web surfing, can anyone give some tips on how to focus on writing tunes just using the laptop. I don't have my nearfields, just some ear buds, no midi controller, I leave all this stuff home...

ideas? I want to take advantage of all this extra time at this boring ass job
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

dubgil wrote:Despite all this "free" time, I can't get motivated to work just using a laptop. I usually end up wasting time web surfing, can anyone give some tips on how to focus on writing tunes just using the laptop. I don't have my nearfields, just some ear buds, no midi controller, I leave all this stuff home...

ideas? I want to take advantage of all this extra time at this boring azz job
perhaps get involved in something that involves the computer a bit more or *requires* a computer even. try a visual programming environment like max/msp or bidule. csound is very cool too although not visual. there is a lot in there area of generative and algorithmic music that i personally find interesting. i like to write algorithmic music using python and csound. work like that requires only a computer.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

dubgil wrote:this thread is perfect for a question I have.

I recently got a weekend job at a tow yard. 90% of the time I'm by myself doing NOTHING for 8-9hours just waiting for the phone to ring someone calling in a car illegally parked. I figured I'd take my laptop with me and have lots of time to work on tunes in Live. Despite all this "free" time, I can't get motivated to work just using a laptop. I usually end up wasting time web surfing, can anyone give some tips on how to focus on writing tunes just using the laptop. I don't have my nearfields, just some ear buds, no midi controller, I leave all this stuff home...

maybe use some different software.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

dubgil wrote:this thread is perfect for a question I have.

Buy a cheap van, install monitors etc in the back, tow it to your job ... ;)
Koppnicker
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Koppnicker »

I'm producing in my room, in a flat I share with a girl and another guy. They both accept this.

BUt the guy above my room is enerving me all the time. Once, he assumed that I played loud music until 4am, but I wasn't even at home at this time :D

Well after he once called the police and I had to pay 75eur I scared him a bit, and now everything's fine. I didn't threat him with violence or something, just to point that out.

I recently changed the positions of my speakers and now I#ve got less standing waves in my room I guess.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

I rented a room in a basement in a office building and i set up my studio there, so I don't have to deal with no one when I want to make music, just go there and produce my stuff. I like the idea of having a studio which is not at home, so I can focus on making music and don't have to deal with neighbours, girlfriend (they can be the most distracting thing when making music), flatmates, no one, just me and my music stuff.
I treated the room to achieve a flat as possible sound, so I'm very happy with it.
Sure, the rent of this room adds up to the rent of the flat, but since I share a big flat with girlfried and other 6 ppl is not so expensive.
I was sharing my flat once with one of my ex girlfriend and her dog, plus having the studio at home... it it wasn't the dog it was the girlfriend, but I always had something/someone distracting me or requiring attention while I was trying to make music, needless to say I didn't finished a tune in 6 months, after that we split anyway and since then I never ever made music at home anymore, i need a separate studio to be really creative. No internet, no neighbours, no girlfriend, just me and music.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

sorgenkind wrote: it it wasn't the dog it was the girlfriend
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSN-Y1W4Jm4
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

working at home + GF + internet are really bad enemies